Install OKI printers using INF files from Windows Store in Windows 10 S RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Windows desktop app in WPF for Windows machines and generated an MSI package to install the desktop app as well as my OKI printer drivers on a client machine. I am using InstallShield custom actions to install/uninstall my printers by using INF files (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624057(v=ws.11).aspx). Printers and desktop app installation via MSI setup is working fine as expected on Windows machines.

I want to install the same desktop application ( including my printers ) in Windows 10 S machine now. So I have generated a UWP app package build (.appx) using InstallShield 2016 and tested the UWP package(.appx) directly in Windows 10 (home edition) machine using sideload apps option and my desktop app installed properly in (C:\Program Files\WindowApp\) directory but printers are not installed. Because UWP app does not allow to use window services while installing the app from Windows Store - Custom actions ignored while generating UWP app release using Installshield 2016

Windows 10 S does not run command-line applications, nor the Windows Console, Cmd / PowerShell, or Linux/Bash/WSL instances - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/18/will-linux-distros-run-on-windows-10-s/. We are installing the printers using INF files by running printer installation commands using Windows Service (PrintUI.dll)  - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624057(v=ws.11).aspx. Looks like Windows 10 S does not support command line installation/tools for security reasons.

How can I install my printers in Windows 10 S machine? Is it possible to install the printers directly from Windows Store? Please help me to install my printers in Windows 10 S machine.

• Moved by Breeze Liu Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:17 AM off topic
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Satheesramasamy,

Here is the forum for Developing Universal Windows apps, and we are focusing on developing universal windows apps issue. Your issue is not in our scope and we do not support it.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for the reply @Breeze, I have already converted by WPF app to UWP package (.appx) and it is working as expected in Windows 10. But I want the solution to add/bundle custom action scripts in UWP package to install my printers while installing my UWP app. How can I achieve this in Windows store apps & Is this possible in Windows store app? Can you guide me the relevant forum to discuss about this issue if this is not a right place to discuss?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Hi Satheesramasamy,

Above all, I close this thread because your title issue is relevant to install printers in Win10 S but not the issue of developing UWP apps according to your description. But if you want to discuss the issue of desktop bridge, you can still post it in our Developing Universal Windows apps forum. Thanks for your understanding.

As for the issue in your above reply, I am afraid you can't do custom actions or install drivers. This is by design and certainly won't change in the foreseeable future.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:31 AM