none
Updated ex490 server can no longer RDP into server RRS feed

• Question

• Just did some of the latest updates on my WHS 2003 HP EX490 server, did the restart as per normal with all updates and now i can not login to my server via RDP or WHS Connector and i have no idea why i have all the correct details as i use it so frequently but i have no way of logging into the server to check error logs or anything....

Any one have any suggestions as to what could have happend

Regards Ryan

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

does the server still respond to a ping by name or by IP address?

Is there disk activity?

Did you try to power off the server and power it on again (just in case it hangs with no disk activity at all)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hey Olaf,

Yeah still responsive i can still access the files and folders over the network i can still ping the server i am copying all data off the server now but dont want to format it if i dont need to.

A while back i changed my RDP port to 40001 maybe thats whats happened

did the latest windows update for whs2003 and restarted and can no longer log in. Very strange

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:25 AM
  • RDP is used to access the server through the console, so changing the port will have an impact to functionality.

If you use Remote Desktop client on a PC and open yourservername:40001 - does that work?

Olaf

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:17 PM
  • I dont quite understand what u mean by open yourservername:40001 is that in the screen where i normally type my ip in RDP ?

The thing is i was remoting into my pc fine and did a windows update and hit restart now and from there gone couldnt log back in and my server does not allow me to plug in a monitor it is a remote server only!

so basicly im locked out and can not access my server but i can access the files on it over the network

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:31 AM
  • Yes, that's what Olaf means. Why are you using an IP address to open a RDP session, didn't the Server Name work before you had these problems? Use Ping to ensure the IP address has not changed for some reason.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, October 5, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I meaned that in reference to the changed RDP port. If you change the RDP port on the server, you need to address that port as well in the RDP client.

But - if you changed the RDP port on the server, but did not open the new port in the Firewall on the server, things may become more difficult.

Olaf

Friday, October 5, 2012 6:42 PM
  • ... things may become more difficult.

If the port for RDP was changed, but not opened in the firewall, it will be impossible to connect using the console or remote desktop session, and it will be impossible to use single file restore mode from a client backups (because that's initiated through the console). It will still be possible to access shares, access the Remote Access web site (except for console access), and use other server functionality. Backups will still work and it will still be possible to restore a PC using bare metal restore mode. It may not be possible to install the connector on a new PC, however; I'm not sure if there's any communication via the standard remote desktop port.

Given the OP has an OEM (Hewlett Packard) unit, there are two options for recovery:

• Server recovery, using the media supplied by the OEM, or
    • purchasing (or constructing) and installing a debug cable that adds a video port so you can log in locally.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:25 PM
  • If remote registry access would be possible (using the WHS Administrator account with it's password to connect), eventually the firewall port could be opened manually by altering the registry. Alternatively by plugging the system disk into another machine as secondary drive and loading the registry hive from the WHS installation, altering the values as required and swap the disk back.

Olaf

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:45 PM