none
D-link DIR-825, Cox and Home Server (EX-485) RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I am trying to setup remote access for my home server. I have the HP EX-485 and I using TZO. I can see teh web site inside my house but my mother can't see it on the internet. I have forwarded 80, 443, and 4125 on the DIR-825 and I have fixed the IP address on my internal network for the EX-485. I have run the repair wizard again in the EX-485 so now I am stumped. Thoughts?

Dennis Lowrey
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:30 AM

Answers

• All,

I am trying to setup remote access for my home server. I have the HP EX-485 and I using TZO. I can see teh web site inside my house but my mother can't see it on the internet. I have forwarded 80, 443, and 4125 on the DIR-825 and I have fixed the IP address on my internal network for the EX-485. I have run the repair wizard again in the EX-485 so now I am stumped. Thoughts?

Dennis Lowrey

When you go to the Console > Settings button > Remote Access tab > Details button > Refresh button, what does it say?  Have you checked Shields Up! to see what it shows for ports 80, 443, and 4125?
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Lowrey Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:21 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:02 AM
  • It shows the domain name
    IP address
    Last refresh (just qa couple of minutes ago)
    A key number for TZO
    my contact email
    Service description
    Expiration (which is next year)

On shields up it is saying 80 is in stealth mode, 443 is open and 4125 is closed. Odd.

Dennis

P.S. Thanks for the help.
    Try adding an s to the http (in other words, https://yourservername.domainname.com) and see if it works.  (It should since you're bypassing port 80 and going straight to 443, which is how I have mine set up so it's one less port exposed on the internet.)
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Information: Ports Blocked or Restricted by Cox High Speed Internet 

Summary 

The following information describes why certain ports are blocked or restricted by Cox High Speed Internet. 

Content 

Reasons For Filtering Ports 
    Protecting customers - Certain ports are filtered to protect our customers. We can protect against certain common worms and from dangerous services on our customers' computers that could allow intruders access. 
    Protecting upstream bandwidth - Upstream bandwidth to a cable plant is limited. If customers overuse their upstream bandwidth by running high-traffic servers or becoming infected with a worm or virus, it can degrade the service of other customers on that node. 
    Protecting the rest of the Internet - Some filters prevent our customers from attacking other computers on the Internet. In addition to being in our best interests for protecting our bandwidth, it is our responsibility to prevent abuse of our network. 
    Port Transport Protocol Direction Reason for Filtering 
    25 TCP SMTP Both* SMTP Relays 
    80 TCP HTTP Inbound Web servers, worms 
    135  UDP NetBios Both Net Send Spam / Pop-ups, Worms 
    136-139 UDP, TCP NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighborhood 
    445 TCP MS-DS/ NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighhood 
    1433 TCP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, Trojans 
    1434 UDP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, SQLslammer 
    1900 UDP MS-DS/ NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighborhood 

*SMTP is only permitted outbound to Cox-provided SMTP servers.

Detailed Explanations Of Filtered Ports 

25 / TCP - SMTP Mail servers use Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) to exchange email. We block this to protect upstream bandwidth and prevent customers from running open relays could potentially be used by others to send spam via our network.

80 / TCP - HTTP Web browsers use Hypertext Transport Protocol (HTTP) to communicate with web servers. In addition to protecting bandwidth by preventing customers from running high-traffic web servers, we can stop many destructive worms that spread through security holes in web server software.

135, 137 / UDP, 135, 139 / TCP, 445 MS-DC – NetBIOS NetBIOS (also known as Server Message Block, LanManager, and Common Internet File System) is a networked file sharing protocol. The Microsoft Windows “Network Neighborhood” runs over NetBIOS. We filter these ports to protect customers from exposing files on their computers, and to block worms which spread through open file shares. The latest addition to this series, a consolidated service port (TCP445), has also opened new similar security risks in Win2K and WinXP.

1433 / TCP, 1434 / UDP – 
    MS-SQL Microsoft SQL Server is a database application with a long history of security exploits, and is noted for the propagation of the SQLslammer worm. These ports are filtered to prevent exploitation and propagation of such MS-SQL exploits.

1900 / UDP - UPnP discovery / SSDP is a service that runs by default on WinXP. It creates an immediately exploitable security vulnerability for any network. Filtering this port proactively prevents XP systems from being remotely compromised by malicious worms or intruders.

Here is the list of blocked ports for your ISP,  https is a good idea as well from the post above.
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Lowrey Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:53 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:56 PM

All replies

• All,

Dennis Lowrey

When you go to the Console > Settings button > Remote Access tab > Details button > Refresh button, what does it say?  Have you checked Shields Up! to see what it shows for ports 80, 443, and 4125?
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Lowrey Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:21 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:02 AM
    IP address
    A key number for TZO
    my contact email
    Service description

On shields up it is saying 80 is in stealth mode, 443 is open and 4125 is closed. Odd.

Dennis

Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:23 AM
  • This is probally the only time I'll post. I just happened to stumble on this.

I was just browsing to see if I could run my prototype game severs, I'll probally wind up doing virtual machine.

I use to host my own web pages from home (IIS). And use to use dydns or something like that. (Can't remeber the name)

Some ISP (Cox does) blocks Inbound requests port 80 to residental custumers.
    If you look in there internet help section at cox it say's that customers are not suppose to host servers.
    And Gives a Blocked port list ( mail, web, etc)
    It has been awhile to remeber exactly what it said word for word.
    It is for your security and pain in the +++.

Alternative Solution  use a different port.  Althought people will have to use the port in the address. 

http:// Just a example addres.org:54367

This an example. Now dydns had a mask that would pick up the wild card were no port was added and redirect it to your IP.

Just a thought and info. And hope I a making sense. Have Fun. 

I'm thinking about getting this software, to back up my code and other files, and store media and stream from it.

mail port 25
    Information: Why Cox blocks port 25

web and others
    Information: Ports Blocked or Restricted by Cox High Speed Internet

links wouldn't post grep is nice

• Edited by game_dev_it Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:02 AM Links no work
    • Proposed as answer by game_dev_it Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:07 AM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:00 AM
    IP address
    A key number for TZO
    my contact email
    Service description

Dennis

Try adding an s to the http (in other words, https://yourservername.domainname.com) and see if it works.  (It should since you're bypassing port 80 and going straight to 443, which is how I have mine set up so it's one less port exposed on the internet.)
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Information: Ports Blocked or Restricted by Cox High Speed Internet 

Summary 

The following information describes why certain ports are blocked or restricted by Cox High Speed Internet. 

Content 

Reasons For Filtering Ports 
    Protecting customers - Certain ports are filtered to protect our customers. We can protect against certain common worms and from dangerous services on our customers' computers that could allow intruders access. 
    Protecting upstream bandwidth - Upstream bandwidth to a cable plant is limited. If customers overuse their upstream bandwidth by running high-traffic servers or becoming infected with a worm or virus, it can degrade the service of other customers on that node. 
    Protecting the rest of the Internet - Some filters prevent our customers from attacking other computers on the Internet. In addition to being in our best interests for protecting our bandwidth, it is our responsibility to prevent abuse of our network. 
    Port Transport Protocol Direction Reason for Filtering 
    25 TCP SMTP Both* SMTP Relays 
    80 TCP HTTP Inbound Web servers, worms 
    135  UDP NetBios Both Net Send Spam / Pop-ups, Worms 
    136-139 UDP, TCP NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighborhood 
    445 TCP MS-DS/ NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighhood 
    1433 TCP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, Trojans 
    1434 UDP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, SQLslammer 
    1900 UDP MS-DS/ NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighborhood 

*SMTP is only permitted outbound to Cox-provided SMTP servers.

Detailed Explanations Of Filtered Ports 

25 / TCP - SMTP Mail servers use Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) to exchange email. We block this to protect upstream bandwidth and prevent customers from running open relays could potentially be used by others to send spam via our network.

80 / TCP - HTTP Web browsers use Hypertext Transport Protocol (HTTP) to communicate with web servers. In addition to protecting bandwidth by preventing customers from running high-traffic web servers, we can stop many destructive worms that spread through security holes in web server software.

135, 137 / UDP, 135, 139 / TCP, 445 MS-DC – NetBIOS NetBIOS (also known as Server Message Block, LanManager, and Common Internet File System) is a networked file sharing protocol. The Microsoft Windows “Network Neighborhood” runs over NetBIOS. We filter these ports to protect customers from exposing files on their computers, and to block worms which spread through open file shares. The latest addition to this series, a consolidated service port (TCP445), has also opened new similar security risks in Win2K and WinXP.

1433 / TCP, 1434 / UDP – 
    MS-SQL Microsoft SQL Server is a database application with a long history of security exploits, and is noted for the propagation of the SQLslammer worm. These ports are filtered to prevent exploitation and propagation of such MS-SQL exploits.

1900 / UDP - UPnP discovery / SSDP is a service that runs by default on WinXP. It creates an immediately exploitable security vulnerability for any network. Filtering this port proactively prevents XP systems from being remotely compromised by malicious worms or intruders.

Here is the list of blocked ports for your ISP,  https is a good idea as well from the post above.
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Lowrey Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:53 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Thanks. This does the trick. I have already walked my 76 year old meother thru downloading pictures. Dennis
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Thank you for the complete reply on Cox. By using the 443 port I was able to have my mother download pictures. Thanks again. Dennis
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:54 PM