none
Black Screen On Server Install

Question

• So, I've looked through the existing threads and have seen similar issues as mine but no real solutions.  Here's hoping someone has some insight into my problem.  I received my software (trial version) from the Windows Home Server website.  I can boot from the server installation DVD just fine.  The install begins loading files and displays a white progress bar.  The windows logo and smaller green progress bar appear for a split second and then it goes to a black screen.  I have waited for 12+ hours for the installation to resume and no luck.  Since I didn't burn my own copy of the software, I didn't think it was important to do a CRC check but I did anyways using mscdcrc.exe.  The only place I found the correct value was 0x3E3EBF25 which is referenced at http://mswhs.com/2007/06/13/32/.  Is this the value my disk should be?  If it is, this may be my problem.

Assuming that my disc is okay, I will go on to say that I have disabled all non-essential hardware from the BIOS.  I am currently running:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard

2.5 GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory

NVIDIA Onboard 10/100 LAN

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB AGP Video

2x80GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drives

HP DVD650i CD/DVD Drive

I would appreciate any assistance you guys can offer!

Regards,

Brad

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:28 PM

Answers

• This problem was apparently due to conflicting memory modules.  My configuration was 2x1GB + 1x512MB.  The 1GB sticks were the same brand and model.  The single 512MB stick was another brand and model.  Removing the two 1GB sticks and leaving the single 512MB stick allowed the install to progress past the black screen.

• Marked as answer by Brad Wallace Friday, December 12, 2008 5:02 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• If you do some searches, you'll see that others have had problems with the NVidia NForce2 chipsets. I suspect that's where your problem lies. I don't think the CRC is significant; Microsoft updates the media from time to time, and the CRC you're trying to compare against is from a pre-release version of the software.

To test your DVD, could you boot a different computer off of it? If that computer displays the same issue, then you might have a problem with the DVD. If not, then I think it's a hardware problem. Booting off the DVD is perfectly safe, as long as you don't go past the warning that all your disks are about to be erased. Smile
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:09 AM
  • I'm still having the problem of my screen going black after the "Windows is loading files..." initial screen.  Can someone please offer assistance on how to get past this?  I have not seen any solutions posted on this problem with NFORCE2.  Thanks.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Have you tried booting some other computer from the installation media to rule out a media problem yet?

The problem with NVidia chipset based motherboards is that some WHS users have been unable to get WHS to install on them at all, not that some users have had difficulty. You can do some searches in the hardware forum to see if you can find any answers there, but I don't remember seeing anything posted.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:11 AM
  • This problem was apparently due to conflicting memory modules.  My configuration was 2x1GB + 1x512MB.  The 1GB sticks were the same brand and model.  The single 512MB stick was another brand and model.  Removing the two 1GB sticks and leaving the single 512MB stick allowed the install to progress past the black screen.

• Marked as answer by Brad Wallace Friday, December 12, 2008 5:02 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:52 PM