Re: Media Center validating problems RRS feed

• Question

• Unfortunately Stephen I have had the same problem......

My copy is Media Center Edition

My key does not say OEM Software or Product  (Acer Corporation)

The problem is that WGA is telling my system that the software might be pirated, okay I ran a key checker and noticed that I carelessly put the same key on another system that I use as my desktop.  Hey no problem, I can just remove the wpa.dbl file and re-register Windows on boot up.  The problem is that now nothing recognizes my valid key on my laptop.  I tried calling the registration line but got some interesting individual who did not understand what I was trying to tell them.  So instead they give me the number to paid product support......  Interesting.  I paid for the copy on my home system but had to reformat the drive on my laptop due to replacement.  Acer does not ship recovery cds since they put the software on a restore partition.  Microsoft does not make a key change utility for MCE so what other options are left?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hello Elmore,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hello Elmore,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:01 PM
  • The Windows XP Media Center product key affixed to your Acer computer is only valid with Acer's Recovery Media.  You'll need to contact Acer and order the Recovery Media.  Please see:

How to order Acer Recovery Media: https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Elmore,

Please follow Carey's advice to order (if available) Recovery CD media from Acer.  If they cannot help you, try www.restoredisks.com.

In my experience, the Recovery CDs from most manufacturers (although I have yet to do a Recovery on an Acer) do not ask for a Product Key, they simply check to see if they are being installed on the correct make and model of computer and then image the hard disk drive back to "out-of-the-box" condition.  So it's likely you won't even need to input the PK on the CoA.

Also, be sure to back up and offload all of your user data on the laptop, because typically the recovery process destroys all user data on the hard disk drive as it does its job.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:23 PM