Why am I getting an invalid product key now? XP Please help RRS feed

• Question

• I recently reformatted my desktop that had Xp Home on it. I used the discs HP gave me. I put the product key in and it says"the  product id you entered is not valid".  The sticker on the side of my tower says home, the box on the screen says windows xp professional. I've used the recovery discs HP gave me.  This isn't the first time I have reformatted it, so I'm confused why 5 years after I bought the computer the product id now invalid. I'm confused and lost. Please somebody tell me how to fix it!
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:04 AM

Answers

• Good Morning Goddess,

Thank you for posting here in the WGA Forums. We will try and help you resolve the problem which your experiencing. First please visit the following link http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c2be4a37-9ac3-4674-9b30-08fdc9b99dd8  and follow the steps for providing us with your MGA Diagnostic results. This will allow us to analyze your problem so we may work towards a resolution :-). 

Curious did you actually purchase this computer brand new or through another means? The sticker "Certificate of Authenticity" located on your computer should match the version of Windows which came with your system @ the time of purchase. Please let us know where you purchased the system.

Take care :-)

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:26 PM