Moving Home Server to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
       I installed Home Server on my older computer (AMD Athalon XP 1800+ processor) and am considering the idea of moving it to a different computer.  The new computer is an E-machines with an AMD Sempron 64 3000+ in it.  I plan on moving the hard drives lock, stock, and barrel.  So, my questions are these (I think I know the answers, but want to be sure).

1.  Realizing that the computer shouldn't boot with these drives installed, can I do a "Reinstallation" or do I need to do a completely new installation?
    2.  Will I lose any data that is currently on these drives?
    3.  Is there any way to backup the data that is already on these drives and restore it to the new computer (like Easy Transfer or Migwiz for example)?

Not installation related, I have a couple of other questions.

1.  Are there any third party apps (Orb or SageTV) that will record live TV from a tuner, and work on Windows Home Server?
    2.  Is there any word on the rumor that in the next version (or hopefully in PP4), WHS will be able to record from a Media Center type application? 

For both of these questions, the TV Tuner is an ATI TV Wonder 650 Pro, so I'm open to installing ATI's software and using it, if it will work.

Thanks for any answers, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.
    Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:19 PM

Answers

• 1) Yes, you'll need to do a "server reinstallation"
    2) No, you should have all your data if WHS can find all your data disks
    3) Yes, though that generally involves using more drives as "server backups" equal to the size of your storage pool

--

1) No, I don't believe any tuner works on Server 2003 (I could be wrong)
    2) No idea
    • Marked as answer by PatrickDickey Friday, October 2, 2009 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:48 AM

All replies

3) Yes, though that generally involves using more drives as "server backups" equal to the size of your storage pool

--

2) No idea
    • Marked as answer by PatrickDickey Friday, October 2, 2009 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:48 AM

--

2) No idea

Thanks for the information.  I'll migrate the computer over this week sometime, and then mark this thread as answered.  If I run into any snags or other things, I'll post them in a reply below.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:55 PM
  • I moved the drives, and did a Server Reinstallation.  It appears to have remembered all of my data, and I'm in the process of migrating the rest of my stuff over.  As for the tuner, I didn't even bother trying.  I migrated it to my Windows 7 homebuilt, and am running two tuners on there (if I get them both working properly that is).

Thanks for the help, and have a great weekend:)
    Patrick.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:55 AM
  • If you feel like playing around a bit you could try running a non-server OS in a VirtualBox (or your vurtual machine of choice) on your WHS. I'm doing something similar on my mac to gain access to PC-only hardware. I'm also considering doing something similar once I build a new server. The thought being that I would use the VM for anything other than the basic WHS functions. I'm just ordering parts tonight, so I won't be up and running to experiment for a while, but if I remember, I'll post results of that experiment here. I need to search the forums for other VM experiences, but the #%^ search box on this page refuses to limit my search to the WHS forums (despite the fact that the box itself says it is limiting it).

-Steve
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:42 AM
  • If you feel like playing around a bit you could try running a non-server OS in a VirtualBox (or your vurtual machine of choice) on your WHS.

Which, of course, is unsupported.

I'm doing something similar on my mac to gain access to PC-only hardware. I'm also considering doing something similar once I build a new server. The thought being that I would use the VM for anything other than the basic WHS functions. I'm just ordering parts tonight, so I won't be up and running to experiment for a while, but if I remember, I'll post results of that experiment here. I need to search the forums for other VM experiences, but the #%^ search box on this page refuses to limit my search to the WHS forums (despite the fact that the box itself says it is limiting it).

-Steve
    Yeah, I just noticed that yesterday.  It used to work fine, I'm not sure what happened...
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Which, of course, is unsupported.

The fun stuff always is. :-)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Have you tried having the 7mce machine record to the share drive on the whs across the network? that way any pc can media connect to the whs library of recorded content.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Have you tried having the 7mce machine record to the share drive on the whs across the network? that way any pc can media connect to the whs library of recorded content.

What I ended up doing is this.  I created a batch file that copies everything from my RecordedTV folder over to the server.  Then it deletes everything in the RecordedTV folder.  Finally, I created a scheduled task to run that bat file at 11:00 pm every night.

It's a decent temporary solution at least until they decide to let WHS record TV.  Which makes sense to me at least, since it's the "Centralized location for everything" so something that should be able to be accessed by everyone should be done there.

Patrick.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:17 PM
  • What I ended up doing is this.  I created a batch file that copies everything from my RecordedTV folder over to the server.

Power Pack 3 has a very similar feature.  It copies to your server (and will compress the files as well if you wish).  You can download the beta version of it from Connect.

Then it deletes everything in the RecordedTV folder.  Finally, I created a scheduled task to run that bat file at 11:00 pm every night.

It's a decent temporary solution at least until they decide to let WHS record TV.  Which makes sense to me at least, since it's the "Centralized location for everything" so something that should be able to be accessed by everyone should be done there.

Patrick.

Friday, October 9, 2009 12:28 AM