none
Script to look for shares on a list of servers, then searches for subfolders in the share with everyone/full permissions RRS feed

• General discussion

• My company is looking to find shared folders with wide open permissions (everyone/full controll) across about 4000 servers in the same domain.  I have found scripts to report on share permissions, but my company always sets share permissions wide open, and restricts access through NTFS permission.  So a report of shares with wide open permissions means nothing.   I need a script that will search for shares everyone/full, then search for subfolders of those shares for folders with NTFS permissions of everyone/full.   I've looked high and low and can't find what I need, and don't have enough powershell experience to put together my own script.   Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!
    • Edited by SF1970CAN Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:42 PM fixed title
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Monday, April 25, 2016 8:36 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, April 25, 2016 8:36 PM This is not "scripts on demand"
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:41 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately this is not the right place to ask others to write a customized script for you.

Please read the first post at the top of the forum:

This forum is for scripting questions rather than script requests

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:49 PM
  • In a Domain it is normal to have Everyone/Full on a share.  The underlying NTFS handles the actual permissions.  You cannot and do not want to manage individual permissions on the share object.  If you need fine grained permissions you will need to do some research and learn how to design tha. It is not trivial.  First worry about the NTFS file system  security.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:05 PM