Questions Regarding Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Sync Designer RRS feed

• Question

• I have been studying on the topic "Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET 2.0" and have come up the following questions when i used the sync wizard in visual studio 2008 SP1.

1. Wizard helps me put tables but where is the synchronizationgroup i could define?
    2. How can i do row filter (like i want only some records for a particular user ID ) in wizard?
    3. How can i do row filter manually and where ? ( because wizard created sync adapter already. )
    3. Which Change Tracking is better (SQL Server or Custom)?
    (cos for sql server change tracking, no additional columns were added.)
    4. What if 2 clients update same row but different columns ? Which one will be left in the server? ( 2 clients downloaded the same row. They individually updated the different columns and synced back to the server )
    5. For the new row, shall i create at the client site or server site? ( I will do some more study on it. )

Thank you very much in advance.
    With regards
    Bo Bo

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:16 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:01 AM

Answers

• Hello, Bo Bo,

I'm sorry that designer doesn't have the feature to configure sync group or filter row.
    If you already have designer generated sync file, then you just write your own code in partial class TableSyncAdapter, and overwrite the command.

Which Change Tracking is better? I would say SQL Server one. As you said, there's no additional column added, so that you don't need to care all these tables when you synchronize in a bi-directional way.

What if 2 clients update same row? You could write your own code to deal with the conflict. This demo project might help you: http://www.syncguru.com/projects/SyncServicesDemoConflictHandling.aspx

Cheers,
    Yang Cao
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:40 PM

All replies

• 4. What if 2 clients update same row but different columns ? Which one will be left in the server? ( 2 clients downloaded the same row. They individually updated the different columns and synced back to the server )

Can Somebody answer me this question in short?
    Just to get a rough idea.

Thanks
    Regards
    Bo Bo
    Monday, March 30, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Hello, Bo Bo,

I'm sorry that designer doesn't have the feature to configure sync group or filter row.
    If you already have designer generated sync file, then you just write your own code in partial class TableSyncAdapter, and overwrite the command.

Which Change Tracking is better? I would say SQL Server one. As you said, there's no additional column added, so that you don't need to care all these tables when you synchronize in a bi-directional way.

What if 2 clients update same row? You could write your own code to deal with the conflict. This demo project might help you: http://www.syncguru.com/projects/SyncServicesDemoConflictHandling.aspx

Cheers,
    Yang Cao
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Thanks Yang.
    That helps me.

Regards
    Bo Bo
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Hello, Bo Bo,

Cheers,
    Yang Cao

Do you have an example of writing my own partial class for my tablesync adapter to overwrite the command?

Travich
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:43 PM