Should I enable or disable Folder replication? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been reading up on the Drive extender and while folder replication is a good thing I cant help to think that it will slow things down - is there some truth to this or will it happen without notice? I really dont need more that 500Gb for data so my first thought is to get a 1Tb disk for starters...and if folder replication
    slows things down I will definately just start with one drive.

Or are there other advantages to folder replication than the replication itself that should instruct me to get 2 drives?

--
    Werner

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have been reading up on the Drive extender and while folder replication is a good thing I cant help to think that it will slow things down - is there some truth to this or will it happen without notice?

First, it only duplicates files once per hour.  As for performance, I've never noticed any problems with it.  I suppose if you were adding tons of files each and every hour, yes you might experience some slowdown temporarily (at least until it caught up).  But since you apparently don't have that much data anyways, I don't see any reason not to use it.

I really dont need more that 500Gb for data so my first thought is to get a 1Tb disk for starters...and if folder replication

Or are there other advantages to folder replication than the replication itself that should instruct me to get 2 drives?

--
    Werner

The are no other advantages (other than the obvious, which is if you have a hard drive fail in your server, you don't lose any data that was stored in a share with Folder Duplication enabled).
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have been reading up on the Drive extender and while folder replication is a good thing I cant help to think that it will slow things down - is there some truth to this or will it happen without notice?

First, it only duplicates files once per hour.  As for performance, I've never noticed any problems with it.  I suppose if you were adding tons of files each and every hour, yes you might experience some slowdown temporarily (at least until it caught up).  But since you apparently don't have that much data anyways, I don't see any reason not to use it.

I really dont need more that 500Gb for data so my first thought is to get a 1Tb disk for starters...and if folder replication

--
    Werner

The are no other advantages (other than the obvious, which is if you have a hard drive fail in your server, you don't lose any data that was stored in a share with Folder Duplication enabled).
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Thanks...
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:57 PM