none
Download/upload speed revisited RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

getting closer, perhaps a last tweak now...

Server: P5K onboard NIC 1Gbps (Atheros L1)
    Client: P6T/Win7x64@3.6 CPU and 1.7 RAM, PCI NIC 1Gbps (D-link DGE-528T)
    Router: D-link DIR-655

Have had performance and stability issue on file copy between client and server. Error message indicated problems with HW/driver.

First reflection was on storage/controller. Dskchk'ed and dskchk again, installed a Highpoint 2320, no change.

Suspected HW problems on NIC(s) and put in the DGE on the server. Could not get negotiated speed over 100Mbps, a forced 1000Mbps disconnected the NIC. Probably a MB issue. Back to onboard Atheros L1.

Installed the DGE on the client. Voilá. Not experienced instabilities (so far) but speed puzzles me still. I get a 20% increase in client - server direction, that is ~25MBps with expected ~18 % BW utilization on both NICs. In the opposite direction speed is 80-85 MBps, which is more like the expected speed from the available network and PCI BW. Why different speeds in the two directions?

Any ideas where to look next is highly welcomed.

A final question: is there any limitation on the size of a shared folder? Is it unwise to have a shared folder of 8 TB?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:10 AM

Answers

• Thank you Ken for your response.

USB-drives, not really. That is, I have a printer with local storage connected to WHS via USB, but that is powered off most of the time. But I guess that's not what you had in mind.

After experimenting with receive/transmit buffers, Jumbo Frames, flow control etc I have achieved decent data rates. 70 MB/s down, 100 up. Why the diffence, though? Anything to do with write vs read on the server? Academics, now.

Finn

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, January 25, 2010 2:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:46 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

Installed the DGE on the client. Voilá. Not experienced instabilities (so far) but speed puzzles me still. I get a 20% increase in client - server direction, that is ~25MBps with expected ~18 % BW utilization on both NICs. In the opposite direction speed is 80-85 MBps, which is more like the expected speed from the available network and PCI BW. Why different speeds in the two directions?

Any ideas where to look next is highly welcomed.

A final question: is there any limitation on the size of a shared folder? Is it unwise to have a shared folder of 8 TB?
    Regarding transfer rates: Any USB drives on your server?

There's no limitation I'm aware of regarding the amount of data you can store in a single share. That said, I don't have enough data to assemble an 8 TB share. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by hauge48 Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:47 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Thank you Ken for your response.

USB-drives, not really. That is, I have a printer with local storage connected to WHS via USB, but that is powered off most of the time. But I guess that's not what you had in mind.

After experimenting with receive/transmit buffers, Jumbo Frames, flow control etc I have achieved decent data rates. 70 MB/s down, 100 up. Why the diffence, though? Anything to do with write vs read on the server? Academics, now.

Finn

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, January 25, 2010 2:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:46 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:56 PM