upgrading demo to live while moving it RRS feed

• Question

•  

Next question, we want to move CRM to a new server and simultaneously upgrade the licence from the 90 day trial to our new product key. As a dry run I;

Backed up and restored the databases CompCRM_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG to the new server

Ran the installer pointing it to a existing setup targeting the new database server

The following error message;

“The licence code is not compatible with the installed version of Microsoft Dynamic CRM.”

Do I have to upgrade first then move?

We’re not really using Reporting services, so unless CRM is using it in the background is this just reset?

Any help would be again gratefully received 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:05 AM

Answers

• Logically its not possible .... if Key is correct and its being entered correctly as well, why should CRM regard it as a wrong key...

Can you send me the link where you seen this issue without a fix???

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:25 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Yes you can do first upgrade license and then move the databases like this. In this case it will generate a warning during the setup illustrating that the existing databases already contains a license key and it can't be overwritten.

Even it shouldn't show this error if  you are moving it prior to license upgrade.

I reason could be that you had CRM 3 in demo systems and while moving you are deploying it to some other version of CRM. Anyways you can first upgrade the license and then move database.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:17 AM
  •  

Sorry we're running the demo of CRM 4 - 90 day trial moving to new server with new license.

So how do I upgrade the demo licence?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:34 AM
  •  

Same could be true for CRM 4 as well. Anyways upgrading License first and then moving server is also true...

you can achieve this by following these steps:

1. Logon to the CRM server using the user who installed the CRM e.g. domain_name\crmadmin.

2. Click Start Menu --> All Programs --> Microsoft Dynamics CRM --> Deployment Manger

3. Right Click the License Node --> Click Upgrade Lisence

4. Enter new license key & Click Apply

Now you can move your CRM deployment

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:53 AM
  • I navigated my way to the screen to enter the Key in the Deployment Manager fine but I got the following message;

"The License code entered is not valid for upgrade. Make sure you have entered the license code correctly, and then try again."

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:43 PM
  •  

As far as I can see both the demo and full version are both Professional Edition.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:43 PM
  • may be key is wrong...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:25 PM
  •  

The keys source has been double checked and so has its entry, we’ve tried a few times.

I’ve seen this problem listed on the internet before, trouble is they had no responses on fixing it.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Logically its not possible .... if Key is correct and its being entered correctly as well, why should CRM regard it as a wrong key...

Can you send me the link where you seen this issue without a fix???

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:25 AM
  •  

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:07 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am getting the same error as well. We are using a 90 day trial version - professional edition and I have done the customizations and trying to upgrade to a valid license key through MSDN (professional edition). I am not able to do it. get the same error message as mentioned in other posts.

I tried uninstalling and re deploying it back to the existing instance it says the at the key is not compatible with the existing instance. why does this happen?

Is there any solution for the same.

Please reply if you have resolved the above issue.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Hi Jaishree,

According to Microsoft Support the 90 day trial license cannot be upgrated to an MSDN license. You have to uninstall and re-install using the same database.

Unfortunately that's not as simple as it sounds. I'm trying to do that exact thing right now and get the same error message when I attempt to install. However, we had a Enterprise trial license and only a professional commercial license. I know this means I can't 'upgrade' one to the other, but apparently I can't even re-install a professional version using an Enterprise database? Does anybody know anything about that?

Anyway, since your licenses are both professional, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Maria
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:49 AM