Log on locally Group policy RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a Windows 2003 compute cluster right now.  I have tried sending jobs to the cluster but they fail instantly.  I checked the event viewer on the particular compute node and found an error about my user not being granted the appropriate log on type.  Log on type:2 which I found to be the right to log on locally.  The group policies at my company restrict the log on locally right to all servers to administrators, power users and backup operators.  Am I reading this correctly?  All cluster users need to have the right to log on locally to the compute nodes in order to submit jobs?  Or am I doing something wrong?  I can submit jobs fine as a power user/admin, and I used ntrights.exe to temporarily give my normal user log on locally rights and it started working.  I cannot find any documentation on this and any help would be appreciated.

Rob 
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,
    To run a job on a compute node, we do a LogOnUser() with the credentials provided at submission time.  So I think the answer is "yes:" your users do need to have the log on locally permission on any compute nodes where there jobs will run.

To solve this problem, you'll need to either add your cluster's users to the Power Users group, or have IT create a Group Policy exception for your compute nodes (not sure how feasible that is where you work).

I will let our doc team know that we should include this in our documentation.

Thanks,
    Josh
    -Josh
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:42 PM