System hanging every 6 hours RRS feed

• Question

•  

Everything runs OK except that every 6 hours (6AM, 12PM, 6PM, etc.) the systems just hungs.  After a hard reset i see this in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6008
    Date:  01/12/2007
    Time:  12:05:52 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 12:00:30 AM on 12/1/2007 was unexpected.

I have an APC UPS and nothing is logged there.  I have reinstalled 3 times but allways the same.  Sounds like hardware error, but where?

MB: Asrock ALiveNF6P-VSTA

CPU: Sempron LE-1100

Mem: 1GB DDR2 667

HD: samsung 500GB sata2

Any clues?

Thanks

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:04 PM

Answers

• Sam G:

The nvidia drivers that came with the asrock mobo were causing chkdsk to hang.

I tried chkdsk at boot time and all went well.  Tried chkdsk from within windows and it froze.

I reinstalled the OS but only installed the network drivers, not the video, not the sm bus (don't know what that is), nothing else.  Now everthing works like a charm.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:00 AM
  • I think I have finally got it stable ! (though it has been only 1 day)

As the chipset drivers for this board (
    Gigabyte M61P-S3) are all packaged in one installer (which also defaults to installing yahoo toolbar..^%#%@@) rather than seperate and all I really needed to get running was the LAN driver I went a different route.

Instead of installing it  I left it all alone as installed by WHS, then added a DLINK net card I had in my junk drawer and installed drivers for that. If I had thought of trying this before I was reinstalling clean yet again WHS probably would have shoved in a driver for that during the install too.

Seems to have worked! I have ran chkdsk, both forced and the built in every 6 hour scheduled and no problems...so far anyway.No errors so far, no weird "unhealthy server messages" no backup not running messages etc. I have bumped the time up to 6 and 12 several times,after adding a ton of files and users, duplicated folders  etc.

So the bottom line was the problem is likely that ckdsk gets mad at the "optimized" sata drivers and hangs.

I will post back in a week or so if all is well.

Thanks folks!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:42 PM

All replies

• On thing that strikes me, chkdsk is run every six hours. Maybe doing a manual run and check for any disk errors?

Colin

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:39 PM
  •  

I am having a similar problem.  In the last few days my system has been hanging up, about 7 times now.

In addition to the message you have been seeing I also notices a

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block."

Harddisk1 is a data drive.

and also...

"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{3eaea3d7-8b1c-11dc-ab3b-0007e9c55445}."

Is this the source of the problem?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 7:43 PM
  •  PWSEITZ wrote:
    I am having a similar problem.  In the last few days my system has been hanging up, about 7 times now.

In addition to the message you have been seeing I also notices a

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block."

Harddisk1 is a data drive.

and also...

"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{3eaea3d7-8b1c-11dc-ab3b-0007e9c55445}."

Is this the source of the problem?

Well, it definitely won't help any. Smile  I would suggest replacing that hard drive as soon as possible.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Not a harddisk issue in my case, tried it on another drive and same thing happened.

The one time it didn't hang I got ana event entry that said the system was up xxxxx seconds, also at midnight.

Could it be the MB or some weird bios setting?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 8:18 PM
  •  

Did a manual chkdsk and nothing, everything fine.  Can chkdsk be stopped from running every 6 hours?
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 8:21 PM
  • I am not sure if it is chkdsk or something else but my fresh new home server also hangs at exactly 6 and 12.

Hard disks are good, I checked them all..again

I am running legal OEM version on AMD 64 bit 5000 dual
    Gigabyte board
    2 gig of ram
    3 sata WD 500 GB drives

very weird problem

any help would be appreciated
    Monday, December 3, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I tried a "reinstall: without losing data, symptoms the same.

Tried a clean install on just one 500 Gig disk,with the intent of adding the others after I had faith in the server. Froze again.At six on the dot again.

I have just flashed in the newest bios for my mobo, though I doubt that will help.

I am going to also try another newly tested and formatted drive to be sure it is not corruption of the drive etc.and am going to do a clean install. Again

If I get the same symptom again, I think I will get Ubuntu back out and ice Home Server until it is actually ready to use.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Sam G:

I tried chkdsk at boot time and all went well.  Tried chkdsk from within windows and it froze.

I reinstalled the OS but only installed the network drivers, not the video, not the sm bus (don't know what that is), nothing else.  Now everthing works like a charm.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:00 AM
  •  KoolUY wrote:

Sam G:

Hope it helps.

Just a moment ago I came across an older post from someone with the exact board as mine (gigabyte M61P-S3) with the same symptoms

They said the same as you, the "Optimized drivers" are ***, don't install them.

I am just finishing the latest clean install, so I will leave it stock MS and see what happens.

Cheers!
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:10 AM
  • I think I have finally got it stable ! (though it has been only 1 day)

As the chipset drivers for this board (
    Gigabyte M61P-S3) are all packaged in one installer (which also defaults to installing yahoo toolbar..^%#%@@) rather than seperate and all I really needed to get running was the LAN driver I went a different route.

Instead of installing it  I left it all alone as installed by WHS, then added a DLINK net card I had in my junk drawer and installed drivers for that. If I had thought of trying this before I was reinstalling clean yet again WHS probably would have shoved in a driver for that during the install too.

Seems to have worked! I have ran chkdsk, both forced and the built in every 6 hour scheduled and no problems...so far anyway.No errors so far, no weird "unhealthy server messages" no backup not running messages etc. I have bumped the time up to 6 and 12 several times,after adding a ton of files and users, duplicated folders  etc.

So the bottom line was the problem is likely that ckdsk gets mad at the "optimized" sata drivers and hangs.

I will post back in a week or so if all is well.

Thanks folks!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:42 PM
  • It may be too early to say the problems are totally fixed, but I have had my WHS up now for over 3 days.

I have added nearly a terabyte of files, created and deleted accounts, duplicated shares, ran chkdsk and generally beat on it.

Running stable now, no errors, no lockups, all seems well.

Cheers folks and thanks for your input.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:10 PM
  • It has been close to three weeks now without even a single reboot, and all is well.

I am so happy with WHS now that I helped a friend build his new Server yesterday.

Sam

Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Hello

Installing chipset drivers seems to be bad. I had problems with the beta stalling for about 15 seconds once ore twice an hour. When i installed the OEM, i only installed lan driver, no problems.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Had the same problem with a Gigabyte M61P-S3 MB.  After some digging and help from UK Gigabyte support found the following works:

Clean install of WHS

Instead of loading the chipset software from the Gigabyte Utilites Disk:

Run \Chipset\nVIDIA_Drv\MCP61\Setup.exe - Choose only the Network option - needs re-boot (Installs Network Controller)

Optionally

Run \Network\Rtl8139\Drivers\setup.exe (for gigabit LAN)

Run Windows Update

Early days, but my system has now been stable fore over 50 hours and backed up my other PCs twice.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:10 PM