Windows Update keeps giving me KB905474 and (.NET 1.1 SP 1 Update, writes: 0KB and 0 Minutes, always fails) RRS feed

• Question

• I found that I had KB905474 installed and checked system for it, it was in add and remove programs and several other places, Windows Update kept reinstalling it. Last time I researched the internet I found why it changed, I found that every time I reinstalled Trend Antispyware version 3.0 it disabled WGA until a recent Trend Antispyware Update reconfigured its software, the person on the internet explained what it does, and what it did.

This Computer does not have Trend Antispyware installed, I don't know why it did not notice its already there, I tried the tools people are downloading here for WGA then went to Windows Updates and now it did not try to reinstall KB905474.

It still tries to reinstall .NET 1.1 SP 1 Update, before install, Windows Update writes: size 0KB, 0 Minutes, always fails, I have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886904) installed, I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1, later added SP2. I try to turn it off, it warns me to turn it on, it writes its important. How can something of 0KB and take 0 minutes to install be of value to me?

Saturday, June 3, 2006 9:46 PM

Answers

• Yes, I understand.

I like Windows XP - I remember having many good reasons. If it would be a good idea for me to switch to Mac, if I could gain something from the switch, problem is, I know Windows XP, I would need to re-learn.

My Windows XP Pro came from the same place that I bought my Windows XP Home Disc from, my Windows XP Pro CD came in a Clear Plastic shell with a blue box, both pass every test Microsoft wrote.

I think it would be better to do it some other way, it does not need anything else, It has a key, it has several things to ID it on the disc. This security of theirs has too many flaws, my computer has removeable parts, that sends alarms, it does not leave this house, if it did, the key is part of the software, it would be detected some where else, when it goes online to the internet, if it did. 

The only time Windows XP is activated now, is when I buy the Computer with there Software installed, I don't plan to buy any more Microsoft software from them, its a waste of money, I spent over $500 on both.

Every time I to go to Window Update it needs to install an empty file about (.NET 1.1 SP1 Update that is already installed.) - trying to install nothing creates failure.

When I downloaded the tools, from the links, I found posted somewhere else, from microsoft, it stopped the need to download WGA again, its short lived, because I checked before writing this, it still expecting me to download and install both programs, I thought WGA was cured, I have both installed, it wrote success when I did it.

I found both program at microsoft and download them as something to do offline and each time it writes, success - without using Window Update. Everytime I allow Windows Update to do it (I know its already installed) it needs to do it over and over again, the same two, the same way, the same emply file about .NET 1.1 SP1 Update with WGA - KB905474, this .NET Update is nothing, and nothing creates nothing installed, therefore failure.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:37 AM
  • Insight124,

Windows Update has free email tech support, see if they can help you get that DotNet 1.1 update straightened out.  Here's the link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=6527

FYI, the WGA Notifications tool has gone thru several revisions recently, based upon the pilot testing going on in the USA, UK, Australia, and elsewhere.  Maybe what you are being offered are the several improved versions.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:03 AM

All replies

• Dido here. This is getting rediculous. When is the microsoft toture going to stop. Its just like the software, always has a flaw. Same with the whole WGA process and they have again made it the users problem to figure out and deal with. No wonder so many people are moving to a MAC.
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 10:29 PM
  • je suis victime d'une contre facon de logiciel
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 10:44 PM
  • Yes, I understand.

I like Windows XP - I remember having many good reasons. If it would be a good idea for me to switch to Mac, if I could gain something from the switch, problem is, I know Windows XP, I would need to re-learn.

My Windows XP Pro came from the same place that I bought my Windows XP Home Disc from, my Windows XP Pro CD came in a Clear Plastic shell with a blue box, both pass every test Microsoft wrote.

I think it would be better to do it some other way, it does not need anything else, It has a key, it has several things to ID it on the disc. This security of theirs has too many flaws, my computer has removeable parts, that sends alarms, it does not leave this house, if it did, the key is part of the software, it would be detected some where else, when it goes online to the internet, if it did. 

The only time Windows XP is activated now, is when I buy the Computer with there Software installed, I don't plan to buy any more Microsoft software from them, its a waste of money, I spent over $500 on both.

Every time I to go to Window Update it needs to install an empty file about (.NET 1.1 SP1 Update that is already installed.) - trying to install nothing creates failure.

When I downloaded the tools, from the links, I found posted somewhere else, from microsoft, it stopped the need to download WGA again, its short lived, because I checked before writing this, it still expecting me to download and install both programs, I thought WGA was cured, I have both installed, it wrote success when I did it.

I found both program at microsoft and download them as something to do offline and each time it writes, success - without using Window Update. Everytime I allow Windows Update to do it (I know its already installed) it needs to do it over and over again, the same two, the same way, the same emply file about .NET 1.1 SP1 Update with WGA - KB905474, this .NET Update is nothing, and nothing creates nothing installed, therefore failure.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:37 AM
  • Insight124,

Windows Update has free email tech support, see if they can help you get that DotNet 1.1 update straightened out.  Here's the link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=6527

FYI, the WGA Notifications tool has gone thru several revisions recently, based upon the pilot testing going on in the USA, UK, Australia, and elsewhere.  Maybe what you are being offered are the several improved versions.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:03 AM