Product Identification Service for UK counterfeits Page removed. MSDN code a Microsoft mistake? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The link above posted in the sticky regarding UK counterfeit copies of Windows 7 no longer works. However the broken link is listed in the search results of "uk licensing homeuser".

Has Microsoft pulled the plug on this free replacement service when they realised the extent of the problem, or perhaps that it was their problem??

I bought what is supposedly an amazingly high quality counterfeit (meets everything on "how to tell" page) but apparently came with an MSDN key. This box was sealed in plastic and with the certificate of authenticity sticker. MS tech support was not much help, claiming not to know anything about the replacement program, showing little interest in hearing details and basically told me I was out of luck.

I emailed (the only way of contacting the seller via Amazon.co.uk Marketplace) and received the following auto reply instantaneously, so they are obviously getting a lot of it...

"Hi there

This should not be the case at all; the product is 100% genuine and Microsoft have recently released an update which is showing some of their products as having the incorrect license which is a complete error on their part. 

We recommend speaking to Microsoft tell them this is a retail version and there is a fault with the product as they have either put the wrong code into the box or their system is recognizing this code as a non-retail code.

Also we recommend reading out to them the details / numbers / information on the box and discs so that they know it is genuine. Also explain to them that the product was fully sealed when you got it so there was no tampering at all with the product. Also  tell them that this has come from <reputable multinational seller removed> wholesalers . Also please speak to a real person rather than their automated service

They should provide you with a replacement code or unblock the code you have already, in order to resolve this problem.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance after speaking to Microsoft

kind regards"

I haven't yet tried calling Microsoft again as I fear I don't want to lose my temper at work hah! I'm not sure who to believe, the packaging/dvd of this copy is impeccable and as I also just applied a bunch of Windows updates before this occurred I would not put it past this being an error on Microsofts part. The retailer I purchased from has thousands of feedback and about 99.9% of those are positive so I seriously doubt it was purposeful scam on their part.

I also agree wholeheartedly with posters asserting that MSDN keys should watermark or fail to even register with Retail media.

As an MCSE who has spent years working with, and heck, defending Microsoft products this is seriously frustrating. For what it is worth my mgadiag summary is below if anyone can help or has any bright ideas...

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel
    Activation ID: a0cde89c-3304-4157-b61c-c8ad785d1fad
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00426-00172-067-104803-00-2057-7600.0000-1662010
    Installation ID: 009622845033730860516594768995588344142544590174385864
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: GM68P
    License Status: Notification
    Notification Reason: 0xC004F200 (non-genuine).
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 15/06/2010 08:10:06

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0xC004C4A2
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 6:15:2010 07:50
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

Thanks,

Simon

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The link above posted in the sticky regarding UK counterfeit copies of Windows 7 no longer works. However the broken link is listed in the search results of "uk licensing homeuser".

Has Microsoft pulled the plug on this free replacement service when they realised the extent of the problem, or perhaps that it was their problem??

...regarding the 'broken' link - I think the WHOLE uk licensing site is down at the moment - an has been since at least Sunday morning. (try following any of the search links - they all fail)
    Hopefully 'normal service will be resumed as soon as possible'!   :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by sim_a Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I bought what is supposedly an amazingly high quality counterfeit (meets everything on "how to tell" page) but apparently came with an MSDN key. This box was sealed in plastic and with the certificate of authenticity sticker. MS tech support was not much help, claiming not to know anything about the replacement program, showing little interest in hearing details and basically told me I was out of luck.

I emailed (the only way of contacting the seller via Amazon.co.uk Marketplace) and received the following auto reply instantaneously, so they are obviously getting a lot of it...

"Hi there

This should not be the case at all; the product is 100% genuine and Microsoft have recently released an update which is showing some of their products as having the incorrect license which is a complete error on their part. 

We recommend speaking to Microsoft tell them this is a retail version and there is a fault with the product as they have either put the wrong code into the box or their system is recognizing this code as a non-retail code.

Also we recommend reading out to them the details / numbers / information on the box and discs so that they know it is genuine. Also explain to them that the product was fully sealed when you got it so there was no tampering at all with the product. Also  tell them that this has come from <reputable multinational seller removed> wholesalers . Also please speak to a real person rather than their automated service

They should provide you with a replacement code or unblock the code you have already, in order to resolve this problem.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance after speaking to Microsoft

kind regards"

That response from  the vendor is pure and simple LIES.
    The 'multinational seller' you were referring to is Ingram - they are actively trying to track down the people involved.

--

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

...regarding the 'broken' link - I think the WHOLE uk licensing site is down at the moment - an has been since at least Sunday morning. (try following any of the search links - they all fail)
    Hopefully 'normal service will be resumed as soon as possible'!   :)

--

• Marked as answer by sim_a Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, Noel. Interesting about Ingram... Hopefully the licensing site is up again soon, should of checked the other links myself... too busy being annoyed ;)

Simon

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, Noel. Interesting about Ingram... Hopefully the licensing site is up again soon, should of checked the other links myself... too busy being annoyed ;)

<chuckle>
    It's amazing how many irate people we see in these forums :)
    Not too surprising really - some have spent hundreds of pounds/dollars buying what they thought was genuine gear, only to be told it's fake - and some just don't have the spare cash to replace it unless they can get a refund (fat chance of that!). One or to have been lucky - they bought from reputable stores that have themselves been scammed, and managed to get refunds, but most either can't find the vendor, or they get the run-around that you got.
    It MAY be worth your while to inform Ingram, and see what their response is - it's more data for them, and you never know what they may do in response!
    If they never in fact supplied the vendor, then at least you KNOW then that it's the vendor's problem, and can chase him though the courts if necessary/possible, and prove your point to Amazon - who should delist him.

--

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:54 AM