Reinstalling Money 2000 standard RRS feed

• Question

• I originally installed M/S from the Works disc set back when my PC was XP. Now Win 10 and have the SetUp app. available from its current folder. I need to retrieve all of my data files and keep going. Any anticipated problems?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:36 PM

All replies

• All of your data in in the Money.mny file on your old computer.  Before you do anything else, make backup copies of that file!  You may also have .mbf backup files.  Make copies of those also.

If you still have the Works disc, you may be able to use it to install Money 2000 on Windows 10.  Alternatively, and depending on your location (US, UK, etc.), you may be able to install a newer version of Money and use it to read your Money 2000 Money.mny file and convert it to the newer file format.  See the second post in this forum for how to download the appropriate newer version:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Important!  If your Money 2000 is a US version, US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset will not open your Money.mny file without an intermediate conversion.  Post back if you want to try that.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Saturday, April 14, 2018 2:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:56 AM
  • Hi Bill,  I ran the M/S Money SetUp from the Money folder.  Prompt asked for the M/S Works disk that I had.  Inserted disk.   M/S Money 2000 restored, opened the bank files, downloaded banking transactions from my bank's web portal, imported and back in business.  We'll see how it goes from here.  Bob
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:37 AM
  • Glad to hear that you are up and running.  If Money 2000 is working for you then there is no need to upgrade to a newer version.

Bill Becker

Saturday, April 14, 2018 3:03 AM
  • If you do 'update' to a later version of Money, do make sure you have copies of your data file made by Money 2000. Typically, during an update, Money will make another backup automatically, in your case it will be named:  ****.mn8

My understanding is that MS Money evolution was an example of 'one step forward, two steps back' type progress, and you may not like any later version. 

Just remember older versions can not open data files made by later versions and, rather confusingly, they report that there is a 'password problem' when the issue is simply 'forward compatibility'.

Teabag 

Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:41 PM
  • Agreed.   I do worry that one day, my collection of archived transactions will have no place to go.  You would think that some enterprising software developer would purchase the rights to Money and start a cult following of Money fanatics.  Bob
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:11 PM