WebSharingAppDemo > Sync 2.0 > ADO.NET 3.0 > CTP2 > with Sql Express 05 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am scanning example shared at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\2.0\Runtime\ADO.NET\V3.0\Samples

Is it possible to use Sql Express 05 as a client instead of Sql CE 08?
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:20 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:18 PM

Answers

• DbSyncProvider, SqlCeSyncProvider and SqlSyncProvider are built on top of the Sync Framework and do not leverage anchors which is why you do not see an anchor table.  Anchors are limited in terms of their ability to handle a wide variety of capabilities including loopback prevention, over enumeration, various topology shapes, etc. 

Yes, I mean DownloadandUpload.

Regards,
    Sean Kelley
    Senior Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• I don't think it a way to go as SqlCeClientSyncProvider depends on ADO.NET for SQL CE, ex. SqlCeCommand.

try this: http://blogs.msdn.com/sync/archive/2008/06/24/sample-sql-express-client-synchronization-using-sync-services-for-ado-net.aspx
    or the new priver in v2 CTP2: SqlSyncProvider.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Mandy,

It is possibly to sync with SQL Server Express 2005 on the client instead of SQL CE.  You would use SQLSyncProvider in order to do so and we will update the samples to leverage this provider when these bits RTW.  In the interim, please see the how-to below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd918848(SQL.105).aspx

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Senior Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I modified the sample to use Sql Express 08 with the help of SqlSyncProvider.

At initial synchronization it has created schema and downloaded server records but it is not recognizing client changes.

Do I need to specify commands(SelectIncr, ApplyXXX) for Sql Express or SqlSyncProvider as well ? How do I handle conflicts with CTP2?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Mandy,

Conflict handling is the same and the following how to describes how you would resolve conflicts using DbSyncProvider here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc761628(SQL.105).aspx

This how to will be updated to leverage SqlSyncProvider when we RTW.  In the meantme, the patterns are the same so this should get you up and running. 

Regarding missing client changes, the only thing you have to do is indicate that you want bidirectional sync.  You should run profiler to determne if the client side queries are being executed.  Also, register the CHangesSelected event on the client to see if the changes are being enumerated.

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Senior Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Thanks Sean!

As per thread below,
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/uklaunch2007ado.net/thread/b1400ce9-1a1b-4780-b1a1-7d315ab4ce60

Anchors tables are used for offilne scenario, but when schema gets created using Apply method of SqlSyncScopeProvisioning, I haven't seen anchor table in client database instead I can see some scope tables and some additional columns in xxx_tracking tables...

And bidirectional, you mean DownloadAndUpload in CTP2 right?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:37 AM
  • DbSyncProvider, SqlCeSyncProvider and SqlSyncProvider are built on top of the Sync Framework and do not leverage anchors which is why you do not see an anchor table.  Anchors are limited in terms of their ability to handle a wide variety of capabilities including loopback prevention, over enumeration, various topology shapes, etc. 

Yes, I mean DownloadandUpload.

Regards,
    Sean Kelley
    Senior Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:36 PM