CRM 2011: Changing a USER Look-up field to allow CONTACTS as well RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I currently run CRM 2011 on premise. I have a Custom Entity calledTraining Sessions with a look-up field called Instructor.

The Look-up field was originally linked to the USERS entity; our instructors were originally employees and CRM users.

I have now been tasked to make a change to this existing Look-up field to allow a user to select a User OR a Contact as we now have instructors from Third-party companies who are NOT CRM Users.

Is this possible to achieve?

How can I go about achieving this WITH-OUT code?

I am looking for a solution that does not require development, just configuration.

Thanks,

Monday, June 16, 2014 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Joseph,

You cannot modify the existing "Instructor" lookup to select both User and Contact. However, you can create a new lookup for Contact and set it's display name to "Instructor" as well. You will have two lookups and the end-user can select either User or Contact record in either lookup based on the Instructor. This will require no code.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

• Marked as answer by Joseph Kuper Friday, July 31, 2015 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Joseph,

You cannot modify the existing "Instructor" lookup to select both User and Contact. However, you can create a new lookup for Contact and set it's display name to "Instructor" as well. You will have two lookups and the end-user can select either User or Contact record in either lookup based on the Instructor. This will require no code.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

• Marked as answer by Joseph Kuper Friday, July 31, 2015 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:04 AM
  • If possible, you could redesign your entity and use activity type entity to create your Training session entity, which will provide you OOb multi lookup where you can select user or contact, later you can transfer your existing records to this entity from your previous entity.

Our Website| Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Create a relationship between user and contact entities. On Create of user create a contact record also for each user using workflow. Add a contact type of user for these records.

Regards Faisal

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:03 PM