CRM auto-email problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a fairly new install of CRM 4.  We have had a CRM developer in to create some workflows for us on the Services side.  The workflows are set to auto-generate an email and send it to the customer whenever a new case is create and when a case is closed.  This is the part that isn't working.  From what I can tell, the workflow is set up correctly to send emails from support@mycompany.co.uk .  The Email router is configured using pop3 as the protocol (our Exchange 2003 server is in such a mess that there is no way that I can get it to work using the Exchange 2003 CRM email router Webdav config on the incoming config profile so I am forced to fall back to POP unfortunately, there are plans to upgrade to Exchange 2007/2010 at some poin this year, both of which I am led to believe interface a lot better with CRM - this issue may just force our hand and accelerate the upgrade plan). I have deployed a rule to the account and when I go to users, queues and forward mailboxes and load data, the account comes up and when I test account access the account goes green and connection is successful.

Email is definitely working going out of the CRM -if the users try and generate an email from within CRM and then send it out as themselves it goes quite happily ( we have tested this sending both internally and externally).  We also have an account: crm@mycompany.co.uk that creates new sales opportunities for the Sales team, this creates and quite happily fires emails off to the sales guys internally, but as soon as it tries to send sales opps off to our subsidiary company who are on a seperate network at the minute it fails.  The difference between the 2 is that the email attempts to the subsidiary email addresses just stack up in the exchange queues, the ones for support@ don't even make it into the Exchange queue. 

When I check the Exchange tracking log, no messages appear to be entering the queue from support@ at all.   I have run up wireshark and monitored traffic between the CRM server and the Exchange and there is definitley pop and smtp traffic going between the 2 so there isn't a communications issue there. 

Does anyone have any ideas as I have been at this for 4 days now and am getting ready to drop-kick the whole thing out of the window!

Thanks

Nathan

Friday, May 7, 2010 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Nathan,

The Workflow rule will send the email from the user that triggered it to run.   If the user that triggered it to run has their outgoing email settings set to "Outlook" then it will wait for them to open their outlook and connect to CRM for the email to go out.

What you can do to fix this issue is to set all user's outgoing email settings to Email Router or alternatively send the emails from a Queue and set the Queue's outgoing email settings to "Email Router". 

Regards,

Matt

Friday, May 7, 2010 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Nathan,

Can you check the workflow rule to make sure you have used the "Send Email" step instead of the "Create Record" step?  The "Create Record" step will simply create the email message without sending.

If you have done that can you see that the email record was actually created by checking the history of the customer record?

If that is not there, then open up the actual workflow rule and click on "Workflows" in the left hand navigation to see all the instances of the workflow.  Open up the relevant one and check whether the step was executed successfully.  It should have a green tick next to the send email action.

Cheers,

Matt

Friday, May 7, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I've just checked the actual workflow and they are configured to 'Send Email' as their step, not 'create record'.  I've also gone into a case and as far as the workflow in there is concered, it has succeeded, but when you go into the actual email it says' This message has not yet been submitted for delivery'

At a guess that may well be the issue! Any ideas as to why that would be?

Thanks

Nathan

Friday, May 7, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

You mention that the users can send mail, I don't think this actually uses the email router.....I think it uses local Exchange don't quote me on that I am new to CRM 4.  However I am running some tests on my one that works (after alot head scratching like you)

I think only workflows use the email router.  So we need to establish if it is actually sending those mails created by users.  Do your ones you have sent come from the generic router e-mail address or from the user tha sent it.

Hope that makes sence...... 

Friday, May 7, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

The Workflow rule will send the email from the user that triggered it to run.   If the user that triggered it to run has their outgoing email settings set to "Outlook" then it will wait for them to open their outlook and connect to CRM for the email to go out.

What you can do to fix this issue is to set all user's outgoing email settings to Email Router or alternatively send the emails from a Queue and set the Queue's outgoing email settings to "Email Router". 

Regards,

Matt

Friday, May 7, 2010 11:09 AM