HELP ME PLEASE! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I just purchased a used laptop recently and the laptop had Windows Installed but it was password protected.  So my boyfriend to the version of windows we purchased from Walmart and tried to install it on this computer.  When he got to the entering of the code part he put the code in and it would not except the code.  We have a couple of computers but this has never been used by anyone but us. My problem is that in 26 days I wont have windows anymore and I can't afford to buy another after I already purchased one.  We can't upgrade to Vista as our systems don't have enough memory or hard space.  I really hope someone can help me as I love windows and it will really stink after my time runs out I will have a computer but no operating system. Thanks for your time!

Melissa

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:23 AM

Answers

• Melissa345b,

Each copy of XP can only be used on one computer at a time.  If the copy of XP that you bought at WalMart is currently being used on another computer besides the new laptop, then you can't install that same Windows on the new laptop.

Look on the bottom of the laptop and tell us if there is a Certificate of Authenticity, if so, post the edition of Windows that it is for.  Don't post the Product Key.  Also tell us the make and model of laptop you have.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:04 AM