Excruciating slow connection to WHS will not allow Server recovery; HP MediaSmart EX470; Linksys WRTP54G; Windows 7 client RRS feed

• Question

• Connectivity from Win 7 client to HP EX470 WHS is so slow that I attempted Server Recovery to start over from scratch.  Recovery process starts okay and finds the server successfully, but then fails on communication problem.  Front-panel "Network Connectivity" on EX470 light goes to off after server is finished booting, and stays off after that.  Server has PP3.  Here is what I mean by "slow": Takes about 5 minutes for Server Console to come up on Win7 client within home network.  Each "click" within server console takes about five minutes to re-paint the screen.  Uninstalled McAfee on server but did not make a difference.  I have never even touched the server with RDP, it is "vanilla" except for one add-in: PVConnect from HP.  Router is LinkSys WRTP54G, all cables are CAT5, all Ethernet NIC's are 100 or better, two machines are wireless, two machines are wired, plus wired XBox 360.  Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.  Best regards, Mike. 
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:01 PM

Answers

• Actually, the streaming iTunes server is pretty light-weight. I have a 47 series and use it to stream my tunes throughout my house. But PVConnect on the 47 series is a dog.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:35 PM

All replies

• You can try a direct connection between your server and the computer you're running the restore from. This takes all networking components except a single (known good) cable and the NICs in the server and client out of the picture. If both are configured to use DHCP, the connection should "just work". If you configured a static IP on your server, you'll need to make sure you configure the client with the same subnet.

But the problem you're describing is more likely to be a result of running PVConnect on your server; the 47 series is rather underpowered for that application. If you can establish a connection (no matter how slow) just remove PVConnect and see if performance improves. Failing that, you're back to a hardware issue, probably the NIC in the server. Unfortunately that means replacing the server...

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Ken, thank you for your posting, I will take your suggestion and uninstall  PVConnect and look for performance improvement.  Along the same line, I am thinking of moving our ITunes library (teen-agers!) off the server and putting it on a client to reduce the server workload.  I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the EX470, it only has a half-gig of RAM, must be why it was such a good price.  Thanks again for your suggestions.     
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Actually, the streaming iTunes server is pretty light-weight. I have a 47 series and use it to stream my tunes throughout my house. But PVConnect on the 47 series is a dog.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Also have you kept your server up to date with the current powerpacks and patches?

--
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Yes, after I removed PVConnect, now I am able to use the Server Console with a reasonable response time.  Plus, I ordered a RAM replacement to upgrade to 2 GB.  Also, I kept the ITunes library on the server, as you suggest it should be able to run okay on the server.  Thanks again.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:16 AM