How many backups do I need to keep RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a little confused about keeping backups.  My home computer is being backed up on WHS.  I did a manual backup initially in April 2009 with automatic backups managed by WHS and numerous manual backups scattered among those.  Although I would not actually delete all backups except the last one, would I need more than my last backup to restore my home computer if I have a hard drive crash (on my home PC)?  Does it matter whether that backup is automatic or manual?  I'm just trying to figure out if I can get rid of old manual backups to free up space on my WHS.

Thanks.

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:46 AM

All replies

• Backups are incremental so the latest only contains changes. If you delete an old backup you may not gain as much space back as you expect as the total of your data and PC backups still need to be available. Common bits of PC backups ( from multiple PCs) are only stored once to save space. No difference between Automatic and Manual backup (which you can change to be managed automatically) when it comes to restoring your Home PC - just that the Manual backups don't get deleted automatically unless you change the attribute.

Phil

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:55 PM