Limitations of Multiple Forest Deployments RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Guys and Gals,

Hope someone can clarify something for me.
    I have a client that has 2 separate Forests in 2 different physical locations and intends to keep the Forests as single entities.
    If I deploy OCS 2007 in both sites is it possible to maintain all features of OCS beetween the users of the 2 sites?

That is, if I use federation will I still be able to take advantage of enhanced presence, AV video cals, etc? Or without using some kind of unifying mechanism (MIS, Resource Forest...) I will loose some of the benefits of OCS?

Tks in advance

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:17 PM

Answers

• Federation of OCS systems do not require any AD forest trust relationships.  As long as you have a third-party issued certificate (or any certificate by both parties) on each Edge Server, then just simply enter the Access Edge FQDN for each server in their partner's Allow List.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:50 PM

All replies

• Federated contacts will utilize all of those features: Enhanced Presence, Access Levels, AV, etc.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:27 PM
  •  

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If I understand you correctly, as long as I put both sites in the allow list of the Edge Servers there will be no limitations whatsoever?

One more question, do I still need trust relationships beetween Forests or is this all done at the OCS layer?

Tks in advance

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Federation of OCS systems do not require any AD forest trust relationships.  As long as you have a third-party issued certificate (or any certificate by both parties) on each Edge Server, then just simply enter the Access Edge FQDN for each server in their partner's Allow List.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Again my thanks. This question has been nagging us for some time now 

This deployment is actually going to be done using only internal certs (the costumers doesn't want to pay for accredited ones).

Tks for the help.

cheers

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:54 PM