locked
Mac, Linux, UNIX support? RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    I would like to see clients for other OSes such as Mac OS X... so there is seamless integration between other devices on a network for all family members.

     

    Having the ability to back up a Mac as well as say a PC running Ubunutu along with Vista PCs would be most valuable.

     

    Is this at all feasable?

    Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:48 PM

All replies

  • If you have back up tools which support a Windows share as a target then they should be able to work with WHS. I remember for example someone mentioning that depending on how Apple design Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard, it might work with a WHS as the storage for that data.

    Of course, these tools will mean the PC has to do the grunt work of picking the right files to backup and won't be as effective as the pure Windows solution, but that's given.

     

    Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:32 PM
  • With a samba client it can work, but offcouse automatic backup do not work without a specific connector.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:28 PM
  • I agree with the original post.  Lots of homes with more than one computer have a mixture of Windows, Linux, and Macintosh operating systems because different family members prefer different things.

    In my case, I have one Macintosh and one PC.  I've been able to use the shared directories right away directly from Finder on the Mac.  A couple of things that are really valueable to me, though, are the automatic backups and network health monitoring features of WHS.  If a Mac client were made available to support these features, it would give me a single point of control for all of my sharing and security features.  Another thing I'd like to see is integrated support for iTunes.

    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  mkabala wrote:

    I agree with the original post.  Lots of homes with more than one computer have a mixture of Windows, Linux, and Macintosh operating systems because different family members prefer different things.

    In my case, I have one Macintosh and one PC.  I've been able to use the shared directories right away directly from Finder on the Mac.  A couple of things that are really valueable to me, though, are the automatic backups and network health monitoring features of WHS.  If a Mac client were made available to support these features, it would give me a single point of control for all of my sharing and security features.  Another thing I'd like to see is integrated support for iTunes.

     

    I also agree with the first post... simply on the grounds that the more versatile the product is, the better it should sell.  I myself have a laptop I just installed Solaris 10 on and would love to back it up.

     

    Besides, I can just see Microsoft's answer to those annoying Apple commercials  8^)

     

    As far as Itunes is(are?) concerned, make that a seperate installable option, as any subscription "service" should be.

     

    Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:40 PM
  • I agree with the first poster and the two that already agreed.

     

    I have a mixed network at home, and currently have no working option for backing up the iMacs on my network.  The two XP Pro machines are backed up and monitored just fine by WHS, but no such luck for the iMacs.

     

    From what I read the other day on the blog of the WHS team's summer intern, at least one member of the team uses a Mac, so us testers aren't the only ones who could use a client for OS-X.

     

    As for iTunes support, I installed and ran iTunes on both the beta2 and CTP releases of WHS, but the second time I tried to sync my iPod to that library, WHS wouldn't even recognize the device.  It also required me to log in either locally (not an option for the target customer base) or by remote desktop (not within the technical know-how of a large portion of the target audience).  What I would like to see is definite support for connecting an iPod and syncing to an iTunes library on WHS, and either an add-in written for controlling an iTunes installation on WHS or for Apple to release a version of iTunes that can be completely managed remotely (with proper credentials, of course) so that the library and any associated iPods can be managed from one of the client machines on the network.

     

    That's my two cents' worth. 

    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:19 PM
  •  Brian Mills wrote:

    I agree with the first poster and the two that already agreed.

     

    I have a mixed network at home, and currently have no working option for backing up the iMacs on my network.  The two XP Pro machines are backed up and monitored just fine by WHS, but no such luck for the iMacs.

     

    From what I read the other day on the blog of the WHS team's summer intern, at least one member of the team uses a Mac, so us testers aren't the only ones who could use a client for OS-X.

     

    As for iTunes support, I installed and ran iTunes on both the beta2 and CTP releases of WHS, but the second time I tried to sync my iPod to that library, WHS wouldn't even recognize the device.  It also required me to log in either locally (not an option for the target customer base) or by remote desktop (not within the technical know-how of a large portion of the target audience).  What I would like to see is definite support for connecting an iPod and syncing to an iTunes library on WHS, and either an add-in written for controlling an iTunes installation on WHS or for Apple to release a version of iTunes that can be completely managed remotely (with proper credentials, of course) so that the library and any associated iPods can be managed from one of the client machines on the network.

     

    That's my two cents' worth. 

     

    Let me clarify. Yes, one of the members uses a MacBook Pro. But he does not use OS X as the primary operating system, he uses BootCamp and has installed Windows Vista.

    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:10 PM
    Moderator
  •  Tom Ziegmann (MS) wrote:
     

    Let me clarify. Yes, one of the members uses a MacBook Pro. But he does not use OS X as the primary operating system, he uses BootCamp and has installed Windows Vista.

     

    Where's the fun in that?  

     

    Any word yet on whether WHS will in fact be able to be used as the backend storage for Time Machine on Leopard when it's released?  That would be my main reason for upgrading my iMac when Leopard comes out.

     

    Why can't all the operating systems just get along?

    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:02 PM