Automated Backup of Different Server Drives to Different HDDs...possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed WHS2011, on my old WHSv1 server...and am still making the transition, learning my way around.

I have four 2TB HDDs installed internally:

The first HDD has logical drives C: with the OS, and D: set up for ONLY Client PC backups...and the second HDD is E: set up for ONLY Shared Folders.

Here's what I WANTED to do.

Use the third HDD, via the WHS2011 Server Backup wizard, to back up C: & D:...and use the fourth HDD, via the WHS2011 Server Backup wizard to back up E:

However, as I use WHS2011, it seems that I can't choose to divvy the three logical drives, with two going to one backup HDD, and the third going to a different HDD...automatically on a twice daily schedule. It appears that I can only select what I want to backup, or not, from the entire server...and it can only be scheduled for a single HDD automatically.

Or, can I do what I want to...and I'm missing something?

If indeed I can't, which is what I now fear...I'm thinking of letting C: & D: drives continued to be backed-up via the WHS2011 Server Backup wizard to the 3rd HDD.

Then using Disk Management, create a software mirror for the E: drive with the 4th HDD.

I know, why not set up another mirror for the C:/D: drive, too? Well, I'm thinking if I mirror the C/D, any OS problem is simultaneously on both HDDs...so using backup is a previous version saver, too. While using a mirror for just the shared files drive, any corrupted files will still be protected by the shadow copy service.

Any thoughts, or suggestions? Thanks

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:51 AM

All replies

•  

Here's what I WANTED to do.

Use the third HDD, via the WHS2011 Server Backup wizard, to back up C: & D:...and use the fourth HDD, via the WHS2011 Server Backup wizard to back up E:

However, as I use WHS2011, it seems that I can't choose to divvy the three logical drives, with two going to one backup HDD, and the third going to a different HDD...automatically on a twice daily schedule. It appears that I can only select what I want to backup, or not, from the entire server...and it can only be scheduled for a single HDD automatically. 

Or, can I do what I want to...and I'm missing something?

No, you are not missing anything. The backup via the dashboard is very basic and very limited. You can use the underlying backup on the 2008 R2 OS if you wish. Your issue was discussed quite vigirously during beta as to why dash board backup was so badly crippled.

There should be no reason your alternative will not work. i did not persue that particular way around the issue. My answer was using synctoy to keep data in sync between two disks. In fact in my case the first disk of each pair used for a share is in the WHS 2011 and the backup disks are located in another Win 7 machine.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Thanks for the note.

Yeah, MS needs to add some flexibility to the WHS2011 backup scheme. Ugh.

I just noticed that I can't re-format a HDD via the dashboad either. Nice.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:38 AM
  • You can format a disk via dash board. I forget the exactly process but it is via the alerts. If you put an unformatted drive in the WHS 2011 it creates an alert and I think one of the options in the alert is to format the drive. Don't know why, it is not a place I looked for the option.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:09 AM
  • You can't RE-format via the dashboard.

Yes, I've seen the alert when you add a new drive, allowing you to format that drive.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:12 AM