Win Server 2003 and new Internet Security 2013 Virus RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am new to the IT field and my manager is out of town and I need help in fixing a computer that has gotten the horrible new "Internet Security 2003" virus. I was trying the regular ways of removing it but it would not work. Through me conducting research on how to remove the virus in a Microsoft forum it was suggested that you do a system restore. I did that without the prior knowledge that the server would void out the trust relationship with the computer that I was trying to remove the virus from. So....I was trying to go through the server to try and establish the trust relationship and every method that I tried did nothing to reestablish the trust relationship between the computer and the domain. I removed the computer from the server and then added it back and it still doesn't trust the computer. SO now the only thing that I can think of is to log into the computer locally change the name of the computer so that server will think that its a new computer being added to the network and then I can go back to figuring out on how to remove this virus!! But when I tried logging in locally I could not do that either since on this computer the administrator local log in was never created on it!!! SO now I am completely stuck!!! and now the server doesn't trust the computer at all!!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!

• Changed type Richard MuellerMVP Monday, June 17, 2013 2:07 PM Needs assistance, how to fix
    • Moved by Richard MuellerMVP Monday, June 17, 2013 2:24 PM Not a "TechNet Wiki Discussion"
    Monday, June 17, 2013 1:49 PM

Answers

• The best forum I could find for your question is this Microsoft Answers/Community forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning

I cannot move your question there, so you will need to ask your question in that forum. Include information about the computer you believe has the virus, such as the version of Windows and description of the virus. Once you know the computer is clean, then work on joining it to the domain.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, June 17, 2013 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:53 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 2:22 PM

All replies

• Sorry for the inconvenience. Based on your description, I will attempt to move this question to a more appropriate forum, one dedicated to security issues. If after the virus issue has been resolved, if you need further assistance to join the computer to your domain, ask further questions in the Windows Server General forum.

Monday, June 17, 2013 2:11 PM
  • The best forum I could find for your question is this Microsoft Answers/Community forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning

I cannot move your question there, so you will need to ask your question in that forum. Include information about the computer you believe has the virus, such as the version of Windows and description of the virus. Once you know the computer is clean, then work on joining it to the domain.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, June 17, 2013 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:53 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 2:22 PM