My threads/forums have been disappeared after changing my disaply name. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I changed my display name from "Anas Ghanem -" to "Anas Ghanem" (removed the dash from the end).
    After that, i couldn't locate my threads or forums because "My forum links" menu (which is on right) was no longer displaying my shortcuts link (My Settings,My Profile,My Threads,My Alerts,My Forums) instead it was showing "Create profile" link.So it seems that the forum application was unable to locate my old threads that have had been posted using my old display name.

Also i was unable to post this issue here until i revert the changes , and just used my old display name which is "Anas Ghanem -".

Any thoughts ?
    Anas Ghanem,
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Did you change your displayname against your existing profile or created a new profile? Sounds to me the latter.
    Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:59 PM
  • After started posting here with a new account , I found that i had an old account in which I was using "Anas Ghanem" for it's display name.Since it's not allowed to have a dispaly name that is already used by another account, i renamed the display name for the old account so that i can use "Anas Ghanem" for my current account , and when i changed the display name in my new account (which is the one i'm posting from) to "Anas Ghanem" the problem appeared.

Regards
    Anas Ghanem - blog
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Seems to be profile specific problem. Please submit a service request to our support staff so they can follow-up with your regarding this problem. Here's the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1432&ws=Forums-Tech
    Forums Test Lead
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Just a heads-up that this isn't an isolated incident; after performing the exact same sequence on my old and new accounts ("Brandon Haynes - Old Account" and "Brandon Haynes"), I am experiencing the same behavior (including an inability to post under my new account).

I have utilized the support link above, but thought you guys might be interested in knowing that this is not a one-off event.

Brandon
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Apparently this may have been a transitional issue; though the behavior described herein has persisted since my change early yesterday morning, I find that functionality has been restored after re-signing-in.  I did try to re-sign-in yesterday, so either something synchronized, or customer support has responded to the ticket I created using the link above.

Brandon

Brandon Haynes
    brandonhaynes.org
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Seems to be profile specific problem. Please submit a service request to our support staff so they can follow-up with your regarding this problem. Here's the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1432&ws=Forums-Tech
    Forums Test Lead

I just submitted a request...
    I have a note ragarding the following field in that form:
    "E-mail address (if you require a response):" : i think you should mention in that label that the email must be hotmail/live email.Because i tried to use my gmail and i got an error that the contact method is not supported .... the error wasn't clear to me ... and i'm sure it will not be clear for the others....

Regards
    Anas Ghanem - blog
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:53 AM
  • The link work fine for me.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:58 PM
    Answerer