Windows 7 and Live Mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I try to add a Windows 7 (x64) device and
    1) Windows 7 is not listed as supported
    2. Vista 64 bit livemesh.exe says the "livemesh.exe" and my system are different architectures
    3) ditto for "Vista 32-bit LiveMesh.exe"

What am I doing wrong?

Ed

Monday, November 30, 2009 11:05 PM

Answers

• If you are running Windows 7 64 bit, the correct choice when adding a device is the 64 bit download for Vista. I suggest deleting your temporary internet files and downloading again. I've installed successfully on both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7. To verify that you are running a 64 bit version of the OS, right click on Computer and select Properties.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:58 PM

All replies

• If you are running Windows 7 64 bit, the correct choice when adding a device is the 64 bit download for Vista. I suggest deleting your temporary internet files and downloading again. I've installed successfully on both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7. To verify that you are running a 64 bit version of the OS, right click on Computer and select Properties.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I too have been unable to install live mesh on my 64 bit Win 7 machine. I have it installed just fine on a MAC and my 32 bit Win 7 machine and its synching just fine.

Every time I try to install, it starts installing and then stops and says uninstalling and i get a dialog box with an error number in it. Pressing help sends me to a generic FAQ page on the web...

When will MS release a Win 7 version of live mesh? comon guys! :)
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:14 AM
  • I too have been unable to install live mesh on my 64 bit Win 7 machine. I have it installed just fine on a MAC and my 32 bit Win 7 machine and its synching just fine.

Every time I try to install, it starts installing and then stops and says uninstalling and i get a dialog box with an error number in it. Pressing help sends me to a generic FAQ page on the web...

When will MS release a Win 7 version of live mesh? comon guys! :)

And the error number is?
    The current Live Mesh x64 Vista install file is fully compatible with Windows 7 x64.
    -steve
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Try installing it while connected to the internet. The installer will download the necessary files for it to install Mesh on 7.

I had the same problem when I tried to installed it offline.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:19 AM
  • I just downloaded it again on vista x64 to W7.
    Seems something just have timed out.

1. Restart browser - Log in
    2. DL
    3. Install

-----------

I have a severe problem in regards to Mesh on win7 - it disconnects (or rather is the cause to disconnect) together with microsoft essentials.

Randomly.

Or just after start up.

This has happened on several different computers.

Solution:

1. Remove NIC.
    2. PNP search for new HW
    3. Auto install

Sadly the problems come back after every restart of win 7.

There is a NEED for a w7 version adjusted to the tcpip stach/drivers.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Strange issue, Davzarek. I'm running Mesh and Microsoft Security Essentials on several Windows 7 machines - 32 and 64 bit, and have nver had that problem.

-steve

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Indeed.

I reinstalled my x64 w7 yesterday and have no problems after this.
    However, I did restart my computer after installing essentials, and installed Mesh last.

-->Installing both and then restarting the computer might have caused the problem.

I will get back to you after just trying to uninstalling/reinstalling mesh later this week on my x32 w7.

It is a strange problem indeed and I have not seen such bugs since win98.

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Do let us know if the problem returns, Davzarek.

-steve

Monday, April 19, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Solved the TCP/IP stack problem on my 32bit w7 machine.

1. uninstalled mesh

2. restarted comp

3. reinstalled mesh

Seems to be confirmed that you have to FORCE restart of the computer between installs with essentials involed.

OR

Install mesh after essentials. I have not done further testing to look at more variables/errors.

PS.

The email I got back had the forum thread linked - but a reply too link would be VERY nice : ))

Consider it an improvement ; )

Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:02 AM
  • You mean the alert notification from the forum? Be glad you got the alert. :-) The service is spotty, I understand. I don't use it or my inbox would be flooded with alerts...

If the next version is indeed Mesh/Sync combined into one, then the order of install for Essentials and Mesh shouldn't be an issue any longer. Interesting observation on your experience, though, and again, glad you resolved it.

-steve

Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:25 AM