Live Mesh Remote Desktop logon wallpaper RRS feed

• Question

• When I use the Remote Desktop facility (love the scaling by the way) it does not display the wallpaper in the session. This, I remember reading in a previous thread, is to speed up the screen redraw, which is great. However, when I connect to my Vista machine it does redraw the default logon screen's wallpaper before I enter my credentials, which takes for ever since I run at 1920x1200. I can't see a way to alter this, so I'm guessing its by design at the moment. Could it be made to ignore this wallpaper too, to speed things up?

Thanks

Lee

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Lee,

Thank you for the feedback.  This is a known issue that we're looking in to.

Ben.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

Thank you for the feedback.  This is a known issue that we're looking in to.

Ben.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Ben.

I had a search, but didn't see it mentioned. Must have missed it.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Please consider this issue to be high-priority, as it is a very unfortunate annoyance in an overall WONDERFUL system. (Do you sell Live Mesh T-Shirts? Yes, I love it that much!)

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:27 PM
  • I've been using some third party software to change the look of the logon wallpaper. Since it seems to be using some form of RLE compression, just a flat color works best.

I also set the theme to Windows Classic when using remote desktop. Sure, it looks like Windows 9x, but it redraws really fast :).

I think that in general, the remote desktop could use some performance tweaking. Some things I'd like to see:
    • Drop frames when it's too far behind. Right now, if an application has some animation going on, it tries to display every single frame before it gives you control.
    • Allow keystrokes and mouse clicks to go through while the display is updating. It's rather annoying to not be able to do anything if it's repainting the display.
    • As an option, allow lossy compression. Sometimes I just want it to update quickly, and don't care if every pixel is perfect.
    • When set to full screen, allow the display resolution to temporarily change to match the resolution of the computer I am sitting at.
    • When set to full screen, allow that bar at the top to auto-hide. It's annoying when I need to move windows around.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:37 PM