Microsoft Security Essentials - causing warning pop-ups via WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone else having problems with the WHS icon in the taskbar turning red and giving pop up warning about anti spyware being out of date or disabled since installing the release version of Security Esssentials?

I recently replaced Avast on both a Vista PC and a W7 PC with Security Essentials and both now generate these warnings (on other machines in the network) when first started up, whereas they didn't with Avast & Windows Defender.

I'm led to believe Security Essentials disables Defender and takes on that role?

Obviously I have ensured security IS enabled and up to date on both machines.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    this is one of the annoying timing issues. You could imagine it that way: Windows Security Center starts and finds the Antivirus/Antispyware whatever software not loaded. Immediatly reports this to the Connector software, which reports it directly to the WHS. WHS tells the icon to go red.
    So within the few seconds, Security Essentials still need to load, a wrong alert is issued, but is fixed within a few seconds.
    (I see it here as well.) Maybe if you wait a few seconds longer before logging on to your PC, you would not see this alert.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,

The warning actually comes up before I've even had a chance to sign in.

It's just annoying that this never occured with the previous non-MS anti-virus and yet I now get issues when I go all MS for OSs, Servers, Programs and Security.

I wonder if it has something to do with Defender still being installed but now disabled by SE and there is a conflict?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:26 PM
  • I have finished installing a fresh clean Windows 7 Pro on one of my clients and I am getting the WHS error that anti spyware is off or not installed. However Windows Defender is installed and running properly. Does WHS not recognize Defender as a legitimate anti maleware program?

Thanks

Jay

Jay
    Monday, November 2, 2009 8:37 PM
  • I have finished installing a fresh clean Windows 7 Pro on one of my clients and I am getting the WHS error that anti spyware is off or not installed. However Windows Defender is installed and running properly. Does WHS not recognize Defender as a legitimate anti maleware program?

Thanks

Jay

Jay

It should (it works fine for me).
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:36 AM
  • It should (it works fine for me).
    So it works for moderators just not the rest of us :)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Hehe - that would be great :-)

In the small office environment a few XP clients with MSE are not causing that issue (at least not permanently). The normal timing related case is only flickering (as here on my work PC with ForeFront Client Security) for a few seconds, before the icon turns green again.
    Olaf 
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:19 AM
  • I just clean installed Windows 7 Professional on my laptop, then installed MS Security Essentials and WHS Connector.  I get the WHS red warning icon and the WHS console reports no anti-spyware and no anti-virus installed. 
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:43 AM
  • Are MSE fully patched and up to date?
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Lee Frakes Friday, July 9, 2010 11:35 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:50 AM

Can't answer for others but mine PCs have the latest version installed and are updated with the latest definitions (unless they class the previous days definitions as 'out of date').
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:06 AM
  • I just verified, on my 64 Bit Win 7 Ultimate here at work I did install MSE, and besides the short red episode after starting the client I get no red alerts about it (and I did not deactivate any warnings for that workstation either).
    WHS is a MediaSmart ex470 with PP2 English.
    Can you see any errors in the event log of the client PC? Security Center service is started on the client?
    Olaf

Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:16 AM
  • I too get the short-term red warning for not having proper malware protection from win7 clients but they go away. if you login to the server before it goes away from another client machine, you can diasable that notification while its still red. Im hoping that the new powerpack update will address this.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:46 PM
  • So it works for moderators just not the rest of us :)
    I think we have a winner for Best Post of the Year™.  :)
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:25 AM
    Olaf

Yes, latest version as far as I can tell:

• Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1611.0
    • Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.6212.0
    • Engine Version: 1.1.5202.0
    • Antivirus definitions: 1.69.698.0
    • Antispyware definitions: 1.69.698.0

When I was running Windows 7 RC on the laptop I didn't get the warning, but now that I clean installed the Win 7 RTM and MSE I get the Home Server red icon all the time.

Monday, November 9, 2009 2:20 AM
  • I get what sounds to be the same Issue - 3 PCs here all had clean Installs of Vista & Win7 in the last few weeks - One of the Win 7 PCs reports Out of Date or switched off (Anti-Virus & Anti Spy - so 2 flags from same PC) when ever it is started or shutdown.
    The shutdown is more annoying as it does not clear the red flag on it's own. If it is set to ignore via the console, it just gets re-flagged next time that PC comes on/off
    Again - no problems on my previous setup when McAfee / Symantec were installed
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Same problem here concerning a clean install.  I upgraded two Vista Home PCs to Win 7 home which are NOT causing this problem.  However, the other PC was a clean install to Win 7 professional and this is the one that flashes the red icon which goes away within a few seconds.  I installed MS Security Essentials on all of the PCs.  It is a bit annoying but I will try to press on until a cure is found.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I get these errors aswell when I boot up my PC with security Essentials but the way I see it, is the program has finished loading when you get this error, but as you know after that it will turn green. it doesnt bother me, becuse it only happens when booting up, then as I say turns green.

HMG
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I have three computer running Windows 7 (2-Professional and 1 - Home Premium).  Security Essentials running on all 3 and on all 3 I see the temporary warning when booting up.  On the computer running Home Premium the error I have an error that says "No spyware protection" that nevers goes away.  I was running Vipre before and never had this error.  I uninstalled Security Essentials and turned on Defender and the error went away.  Upon re-installing Security Essentials the error is back.  Looking at the Action Center it says under Spyware that "Microsoft Security Essentials reports that it is turned on."

I can live with the short term warning upon boot-up, but I would like to figure out how to make the other one go away.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:05 AM
  • I have three computer running Windows 7 (2-Professional and 1 - Home Premium).  Security Essentials running on all 3 and on all 3 I see the temporary warning when booting up.  On the computer running Home Premium the error I have an error that says "No spyware protection" that nevers goes away.  I was running Vipre before and never had this error.  I uninstalled Security Essentials and turned on Defender and the error went away.  Upon re-installing Security Essentials the error is back.  Looking at the Action Center it says under Spyware that "Microsoft Security Essentials reports that it is turned on."

I can live with the short term warning upon boot-up, but I would like to figure out how to make the other one go away.

Hi p3pilot,

For the computer that does not reconize MSE please try salvaging the WMI repository as it may be corrupt. The WMI repository take care of AV notifications.

Try rebuilding the WMI Repository with an elevated Command Prompt. At the Elevated Command Prompt. issue the following comands:

winmgmt /verifyrespository

then try

winmgmt /salvagerespository

If all else fails then you could try deleting the WMI Repository. After a reboot the WMI Repository will be rebuilt.

net stop winmgmt
    cd %windir%\system32\wbem
    ren repository repository.old
    net start winmgmt
    shutdown -r -f -t 01 -c "Rebuld the WMI Repository"

For the Home Server Notification that notifies you of your "AV is out of date" for a brief second, try setting the "Security Center" also known as Action Center for Windows 7 and "Security Center" service for Windows Vista to "Automatic" instead of "Automatic (delayed startup)".

I have done this to my Windows 7 machine at home and have not seen the Home Server Notification notify me about my AV being out of date for a brief moment.
    William Crawford
    • Edited by WTC Monday, December 21, 2009 5:09 AM
    • Proposed as answer by safesax2002 Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:20 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Thanks for the help.  Running verify and salvage didn't seem to do anything.  Deleting the repository seems to have worked for now.  Hopefully the problem won't come back.

One thing I did notice was the the original directory was "Repository" and the newly created one is "repository".  Not sure if that matters at all.

George
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:58 AM