creating ISO and creating flash drive capable of installing WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to create a WHS 2011 ISO from my WHS 2011 install DVD and then put this on a flash drive to install on my new HP MicroServer.

I thought I had found a site that taught how to use Imgburn to create the ISO (I do have Imgburn installed on my Windows 7 64bit PC) and then the procedure to create the flash drive for install with that ISO, but can't find it now.  I've searched "Install WHS 2011 from USB" and other variants and am coming up short on finding a complete guide on how to Create the ISO then prepare the flash drive for installation of WHS 2011.

• Edited by g725s Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:24 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:12 PM

All replies

• Forget about an .iso as you can do it the following way:

• Create a bootable USB drive - http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2009/10/how-to-make-usb-thumb-drive-bootable.html
    • Copy the contents of your installation DVD to the root of the USB drive
    • Boot from the USB drive and continue.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:29 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Thank you Phil.  That sounds much easier.  I'll give that a try now.  I'll be using a 8gb SD card in a USB card reader.  I'm assuming that should be fine...I hope.
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Go ahead and try it but I seem to remember that you might need a 16GB drive!
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Go ahead and try it but I seem to remember that you might need a 16GB drive!
    If I right click the install DVD is says exactly 4gb.  After doing the above proceedure with command prompt and copying over the files the flash drive shows 4.03 total.  I am running the install right now.  Thanks.
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I'm trying to do the same because when I try to install WHS 2011 it hangs at the "Expanding Windows Files" stage at various different %'s.  Got the USB drive sorted as per the link, but when I try to copy all the files I get a install.wim read error.  Other the DVD being faulty, which I can't believe it is as it's brand new out of the box today, do you have any ideas?
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Faulty DVD drive?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:31 AM