How do you make a .Dll into a .MSI file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey so i was following the SDK on how to make a add on for the console and at the end when it says to deploy it you have to compile your dll into a msi file, but i have no idea how to do that could anyone help me??

thanks

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

See if that link help:

http://www.codeproject.com/install/msicustomaction.asp

My best.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:04 PM
  •  

The MSI file can be created using any tool that you choose, but it must satisfy the following requirements:

• Use only MSI 3.1 features
    • Require no user input. Windows Home Server will force the MSI to run in BASIC mode, where only progress bars and error dialogs are shown and will suppress all other user interface dialogs.
    Note
    A Windows Installer XML (WIX) based MSI sample file is available in the topic, Windows Home Server Add-in WIX Example.

Additionally, the MSI file that you create for your Add-in should contain the following properties in order to be used as a Windows Home Server Add-in:

• Manufacturer - states who created the Add-in.
    • ProductName - states the name of the Add-in.
    • ProductVersion - states the version of the Add-in.
    • WHS-AddIn - set to 1 to indicate that the Add-in is designed for Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:55 PM
  •  

sorry i am very new at this and do not understand how to do this at all? is there any other walk through i am trying to use C#
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:38 PM
  • I am in the same situation as Eibach, and would really appreciate a clear example on how to deploy my .dll into a WiX installer package. I've used the old models, but I want to make the switch to WiX for my WHS development. Please help.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 6:17 PM
  • There's lots of documentation available online on the process of creating a .msi using one or another tool. The one that I use (for personal use) is WiX. You can find plenty of information here, here, here, and here. And elsewhere here in the developers forum, I believe there's a full sample WiX file.
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 8:50 PM
  •  

On MSDN we now have a template as well as a step-by-step tutorial on how to build your dll into an msi package for Windows Home Server.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb626019.aspx

HTH

Fan

Monday, August 13, 2007 3:24 AM
  •  Fan Z wrote:

On MSDN we now have a template as well as a step-by-step tutorial on how to build your dll into an msi package for Windows Home Server.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb626019.aspx

HTH

Fan

Thanks Fan.
    I see they fixed the code in the "Wxs Sample File" and removed the (.) dot that the end of code "</Wix>." it now reads correct "</Wix>"

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:37 PM