Tab Add-In Development Tip RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed the that any custom developed Tab assemblies get locked (unable to delete/overwrite) even when all the WHS Consoles are completely closed.

This is extremely annoying (and time consuming) when you are debugging, and may need to swap out assemblies frequently.

I've found that if you run the console on the WHS server from a remote desktop connection (or physical KB & Monitor), instead of running the WHS Console app on a client PC, the files are released when you close the console, and you can delete / overwrite as needed.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 12:56 PM

All replies

• Very odd.

I've been working on a Tab add-in with whs running in virtual pc and developing on my laptop. I’m dragging and dropping the new dll into the whs directory, loading the console in whs (not remotely) checking my add-in then closing the console and doing the whole thing again. I’ve not had problems with the add-in being locked.

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:34 PM
  •  EdHolloway wrote:
    I've noticed the that any custom developed Tab assemblies get locked (unable to delete/overwrite) even when all the WHS Consoles are completely closed.

This is extremely annoying (and time consuming) when you are debugging, and may need to swap out assemblies frequently.

I've found that if you run the console on the WHS server from a remote desktop connection (instead of a client PC), the files are released when you close the console, and you can delete / overwrite as needed.

I get the impression that only a single instance of the console runs, that when you connect to it from a client that it is left running in a disconnected state. However as mildlymad suggests if you remote desktop & run the console & your tab from there, then the console exists...

Hope this helps

Jay

Friday, May 4, 2007 4:40 PM
  •  mildlymad wrote:

Very odd.

I've been working on a Tab add-in with whs running in virtual pc and developing on my laptop. I’m dragging and dropping the new dll into the whs directory, loading the console in whs (not remotely) checking my add-in then closing the console and doing the whole thing again. I’ve not had problems with the add-in being locked.

My WHS is a physical PC, so I either have to access it from remote desktop or go plug in a K/V/M to the box to get local access to the machine and a locally running WHS console. 

If you run the WHS console from your laptop (or any other PC) instead of directly inside your VM instance of WHS, do you see the locking issue?

Friday, May 4, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Yes, when you connect to to console from the client, and then disconnect, the server app stays running. It is by design, makes your next connection quicker. If you need to close the server app, do Reset in the client console (under Options).
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:59 PM
  •  

I've not seen any lockup, but just in case we are not all saying the same thing here's what I do.

On my laptop I run whs in Virtual PC 2007

• To copy file to the whs virtual machine I drag file files from my laptop folders and drop them in to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server in the virtual machine.
    • I then load “Windows Home Server Console” in the virtual machine
    • Test my tab add-in
    • Click on the cross top right in the “Windows Home Server Console” to close it.
    • Go back to dev studio on my laptop do a little bit more and then start again.

hope that helps

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:37 AM