Ouch - Latest Jan 31 Update RRS feed

• General discussion

• Things are getting really bad for the one care team :-(

I have OneCare installed on my extended families computers (7 different computers).  The update late in 2007 has obviously caused all kinds of problems for most people (including myself), but I have waited until today because I was told a Jan 31st update was due to fix the problems.

So a few hours ago I was notified by OneCare that "An update is ready to be installed...".  I wanted to finish reading a news article open in my web browser first so clicked on my IE window to bring it to the front.  15 minutes later I closed the IE windows and suprise - the OneCare notification had dissapeared and I simply cannot get it back.

So now I cannot even find the dialog to click "Ok", and when I reboot OneCare is now "broken" with the firewall and everything else down.

Sure, maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing with todays installation might (maybe) fix it?  But this is just unacceptable.  I have people in their 60s and 70s using the product and ....need I go on.

Microsoft has two choices.  They either need to retract this product from the market before it does any more reputation damage to what I believe is still a great company.  Otherwise, if the company is serious about the product you better really quickly get all 80,000 Microsoft staff members dog-fooding this software quick smart to get it to a acceptable quality.

David

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:31 AM

All replies

• I'm sorry that you appear to have encountered a problem with this update. Note that all updates are tested extensively internally and in a private beta before release to production.

While you've encountered a problem with the update, as have others, the vast majority of users have not encountered any problems. I have OneCare running on 7 machines and none have experience any issues through the recent updates.

That said, see these posts before doing a reinstall -

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

OneCare won't start - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 4, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the response.

For your information regarding the Jan 31 2008 update, it was initially having problems "starting the firewall" - but after running the firewall repair tool it was then just reporting an error trying to apply a OneCare update. 

I ended up getting it working on my personal laptop by a complete uninstall and then reinstall of the latest version but still - that is my personal computer, and I do not know yet about the other 6.  Note I have moved with my laptop to the UK, and the other machines are in Australia (at my parents house and my wife's parents house) - so this is going to be a real mess to fix remotely (ie explaining to 70 year olds) :-(

This just reminds me of the kind of quality we would do in our software eng uni projects when we were 19 - sorry for the analogy but it really seems to be true.  If Microsoft wants to be in this market there is no excuse not to have at least 40,000 MS staff dog-fooding this product.

The experience is so bad that I find myself asking "If I try the firewall repair tool - will is just install some 12 month old DLL over the top and cause more problems" - terrible my expectation is now so low that I actually start to think things like this.

David

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:26 PM
  • It's really not practical to use the old dog-food system anymore, especially with OneCare, since it won't operate properly on the domain installed PCs most use at work. There are plans underway to grow the pre-testing base though, as I understand it, probably for exactly the reasons we've seen recently. What's really needed are a broader range of PC brands and configurations to detect such issues in pre-release, who's actually running them isn't usually important at all, though it can help in some circumstances.

I think it's safe to say the entire pre-staging to release process will be reviewed due to the recent issues, though I have no real knowledge of this myself. It just seems likely with the number of issues, that really shouldn't have been, that made it out the door in this release.

OneCareBear

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:08 PM
  •  jiggyswift wrote:

The experience is so bad that I find myself asking "If I try the firewall repair tool - will is just install some 12 month old DLL over the top and cause more problems" - terrible my expectation is now so low that I actually start to think things like this.

David

And I don't blame you thinking that way.

Are your remote machines known to be having problems or is this anticipation based on the bad upgrade you encountered?

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:10 AM