KB Articles & Attachments? RRS feed

• Question

• I am starting to use the service module and have just begun entering in a few KB articles.     I can't add attachments like we could in my old app which is an issue as we attach screen shots and updated files that fix certain issues to the corresponding article.      I have read that you simply can not attach a file to a KB article, is this true?     If so what is the recommended practice to work around this?    some website mentioned having to use hyperlinks.    Am I correct in my understanding that they are hosting all the files related to every article on an FTP site and they are simply adding the ftp link in the article?

Can't imagine I am the only one that is disappointed by the lack of this feature.

Thanks to everyone in advance for help and advice!
    ~Phil
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil -

Yes, the strategies you're describing are common means of going beyond the very basic KnowledgeBase functionality in CRM.

I've seen customers use a wiki hosted in Sharepoint or integrated with a separate KB application as an alternative or suppliment to the CRM Knowledge Base - this is particularly effective for customers who are building up more extensive sets of documentation for their support teams.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Widgget Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:27 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil -

Yes, the strategies you're describing are common means of going beyond the very basic KnowledgeBase functionality in CRM.

I've seen customers use a wiki hosted in Sharepoint or integrated with a separate KB application as an alternative or suppliment to the CRM Knowledge Base - this is particularly effective for customers who are building up more extensive sets of documentation for their support teams.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Widgget Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:27 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Sticking with a simple external FTP site so that the files can be accessed both internally and externally will likely be the way we go then.  

Again, thank you for your assistance Scott!
    Phil
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:27 PM