WHS install/internet/ethernet problems RRS feed

• Question

• I’m having problems with my install of WHS.  I have a 3 year old Dell PowerEdge 750 with a 2.8GHz P4, 1GB of RAM, and 2 120GB SATA HD’s.  This is a rackmount server with an integrated Intel PRO/1000 dual port server Ethernet adapter. 

It was previously running Windows Server 2003 so I know that all the hardware is compatible.  While running Win2k3 I had the drives connected to the Dell CERC RAID controller.  I decided for this beta I would not run RAID to reduce the complexity of the install.  I disconnected the SATA drives from the RAID controller and plugged them in to the SATA connectors on the motherboard.  I went in to the BIOS (upgraded to the latest) and enabled the onboard SATA connectors.

I successfully booted from the DVD and began the install process.  During the later part of the install where it is installing drivers, I noticed that it stopped for a few seconds and complained that it couldn’t install the drivers for my Ethernet adapter.  I was about to click on the select from a list option, but it went and did something on it’s own before I could click anything else.  I thought nothing of this and let it continue. 

After it said that the install was complete, I changed my password as it instructed me to and immediately went to activate and register the software.  The server reported that it didn’t have internet connectivity.  I went to look for control panel to bring up the device manager and couldn’t find it.  Eventually I was able to bring up device manager and sure enough, it didn’t properly install my Ethernet card(s). 

I went to Dell’s website and found the most recent drivers for the card.  They were old, but it listed Win2k3 support so I figured that I was ok.  I burned the drivers onto a CD and tried to install them.  The install went fine when I uninstalled the cards (which had red x’s or the yellow !) and then asked it to detect new hardware.  The system wanted to reboot after I added the drivers so I did.  When the system started up, I tried to activate and register again.  It still failed.  I did an ipconfig and found that the 1 adapter that I was using had used an autoconfigure IP address.  I thought this was strange since my router should have given the server a DHCP address.  Not wanting to mess around, I went in and configured the adapter for a static IP.  I also noticed for some strange reason that both adapters were configured to use the IEEE 802.1x authentication.  I turned it off since I don’t use that.  Using ipconfig again, I saw that the adapter immediately grabbed the assigned IP address and I thought things would begin working for me.  I verified by going to another machine and searching the network for any new devices.  Since I hadn’t configured the server with a name or a workgroup, I found it with a default name of Server in the default WORKGROUP.

Next I tried to activate and register again.  STILL I could not.  I tried to go to any web page.  It wouldn’t let me.  I thought it might be a DNS problem since I only entered values for IP, subnet mask, and default gateway.  I tried doing a ping on a numerical address that I could ping from other machines on my network.  Nothing.  I even turned off the firewall.

At this point I was convinced that the install got screwed up somehow and started over again.  This time I was paying strong attention while it was installing the drivers and it did the same thing again.  I noticed again that it tried skipping over installing my Ethernet adapters.  I selected the option to let me specify, and it’s like it had a mind of it’s own.  It acted as if someone else had control of the mouse and keyboard.  I fought it for nearly 5 minutes before I was able to specify which adapter I had.  I think it was all for naught because once the install was completed I ran into the same problems as the first time. 

So now I’m stuck with a server that can be seen on my internal network (using 10.10.10.12 as it’s IP address) but it cannot access the internet at all.  Therefore I have no way to do a Windows Update, nor can I activate and register the product.

Please help!

Saturday, April 7, 2007 1:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.  Initially, I wanted to reply that of course I know that I am not using IEEE 802.1x authentication since I setup the network and I did check on one of my other PC's.  However, it got me thinking a little bit.  I checked another one of my PC's and it did have the IEEE 802.1x turned on, so I think that's not a part of the problem.

I dug into this a little bit more and found that I hadn't added the MAC address for the Ethernet adapters into my router.  I'm only using the top ethernet card and I only configured that card, but none of the MAC addresses for this machine were in my allowed list.  I added them into the list and now my connectivity works.  Thanks for making me think about this a little harder.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 2:06 AM

All replies

• If you have local connectivity to your WHS server, your ethernet drivers are probably OK.  Everything you've described sounds like a configuration problem. 

Are you sure that you don't use IEEE 802.1x authentication?  Many ethernet switches and all wireless access points use it.  I'd enable it and see what happens.  Might require a reboot.  (obtw, it is enabled by default in Windows.)

Some things to try it that doesn't help:

• Make sure that you can ping the router from the WHS server
    • Double-check the default gateway, mask, dns, etc. settings.  (Don't know the Dell dual adapter, but don't you have two sets of settings?)
    • Reboot the router
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Initially, I wanted to reply that of course I know that I am not using IEEE 802.1x authentication since I setup the network and I did check on one of my other PC's.  However, it got me thinking a little bit.  I checked another one of my PC's and it did have the IEEE 802.1x turned on, so I think that's not a part of the problem.

I dug into this a little bit more and found that I hadn't added the MAC address for the Ethernet adapters into my router.  I'm only using the top ethernet card and I only configured that card, but none of the MAC addresses for this machine were in my allowed list.  I added them into the list and now my connectivity works.  Thanks for making me think about this a little harder.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 2:06 AM