CRM 4 Data Migration Manager won't login/start RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,
    I am trying to get the CRM 4 data migration manager to work. The install goes fine, but I have issues after that. I click to run the DMM from the start menu and the window comes up with the buttons to Sign In or Cancel. I click sign in and it shows some progress bars and such, after about 30 seconds it goes right back to the Sign In and Cancel screen.
    It does not give me any errors or anything, and I can't find anything relavant in the event logs. I have install DMM on our CRM server as well as a domain client and the same result happens. I am installing and running it myself and I am a domain admin as well as a CRM sys admin. Our CRM server is running Windows Server 2003 SP2(Virtual) and our SQL 2005 database is on another server running Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64 edition.

Any help with this issue is appreciated, thanks.
    Brian
    Friday, June 20, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• I also encounted this issue. I had renamed the original contracts to "Service Contracts" and created a new custom "Contracts" entity.  After renaming the new Contracts entity to another name and renaming the original system entity back to Contracts, and publishing my customizations, the DMM signed in as usual.

Thanks for posting this!

Friday, October 3, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• That tool didn't really help me.  I scanned the log from the crm server and didn't see anything that stood out.  Would it help to run the migration manager on the CRM server or the SQL server instead of my client machine?
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:26 PM
  • can you see log file and send us for more details to understand.

also you can contact MS for suport

Regards,

Imran

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Imran,

I am having the same problem. I was able to run the log. What timeout am i looking for? I see some timeouts for SQL, but there are no values.

Jason

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:03 PM
  • I am having same problem after installing DM Mgr on the demo VPC.

Basically the splash screen displays progress information in the middle above the login/cancel buttons. During synchronisation with the CRM server all of a sudden the progress bar and text disappear. This corresponds exactly with the DMHoster child process dying.

The DMWizard process (visible in Task Manager) spawns a couple of processes for each stage of the login process, the last one of which is ..application.DMHoster.exe. DMWizard is sucking cpu and memory and at around 160Mb the child DMHoster process dies (this process was stable at 27Mb) and the DMWizard just sits there with no cpu action and slowly gets cleaned up (losing memory).

Anyone openned a case to MS? Any meaningful answers?
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

We have the same problem here.

New installation; I can browse our CRM web site.  I have the correct credential with enough right on CRM server, my Windows and in CRM.  Other troubleshooting help guide is useless.

If you have any hint to help me to make this "Data Migration" application do what is suppose to do, you're more than welcome!

Frank

Note. Import/Export in SharePoint is a lot better! ...and it work at the first try.

www.techtra.ca

Friday, August 1, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Brian

I've experienced this problem a few times myself.  You didn't say whether your intermediary database was installed on your SQL 2005 box or if you installed SQL Express on your client.  If you did the former then try installing it on a client machine and have a localised intermediary database by installing SQL Express.  I have found that has worked for me.  I've also found that installing the DMM on your SQL 2005 box works too but bear in mind that then you would have to install your intermediary database on your SQL 2005 instance.  If you have tried to uninstall the DMM then also remember to delete the intermediary database from wherever you installed it on.

Sorry I can't give you any more help than that.  I've never gotten to the bottom of the issue but have found that trying one of the above methods seems to work.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Douglas

Saturday, August 2, 2008 4:52 PM
  • If I remember correctly I tried the intermediary database on my local SQLExpress and on our SQL 2005 server and got the same result.  I can no longer try this as we decided to move on and just use the bulk import for most of our migration and attach our 'Notes' by hand.

Best of luck,

Brian

Monday, August 4, 2008 2:48 PM
  • We are experiencing the same probelm.

Have you find a solution?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

First, I know how to transfert all data without Data Migration application from CRM 3.0 to a clean installation of version 4.0

Second, I know why the Client tool doesn't work; but to confirm my solution, can you tell me if your server installation you have done what is recommended : Download last installation update before proceding to the actual installation ?

Frank

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:51 PM
  • I am also having the same issue with one of our CRM Virtual Servers.  If I uninstall the app, re-install it, point it at a different CRM server, then all is ok.

But I cannot get it to work against the one that I need it to, whether I install it on the client with SQL Express 2005, or on the server using SQL Server.  Same behaviour - i.e. nothing after the synchronisation process.

Only thing I can think in our case, is that this particular (virtual) server has been set up once, wiped, and the server name re-used with a new deployment of CRM on it.  I'm not sure why that would cause a problem, as CRM itself works.  But it's about all I've got to go on, so far.

Has anyone else made any progress on tracking this issue down?

Francois - would you like to share with us why the tool doesn't work!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Still no progress. I havent contacted microsoft, yet, but need to soon. I have tried both database solutions and even experienced the removal of certain registry keys needed for the Asynchronous Service to die (this happens when you uninstall the DMM). Very frustrating! If I get an answer, I will post it here.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

Can you tell me if you have selected Recommended option at the CRM 4.0 Server setup ?  (Download latest installation files)

Thank you,

Frank

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Frank,

Not sure what you are referring to. Is this in the installation process of DMM? It doesnt sound familiar. Is it something i have to do with CRM?

Jason

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

Stupid question; DMM stand for Data Migration Manager ?  This is not a tool comming with Dynamic CRM 4.0  ?

My question was; during the CRM 4.0 installation on server side (if you host your CRM), did you select Download latest installation file like is recommended by Microsoft ?

Frank

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  

DMM does indeed stand for Data Migration Manager...

i.e. the topic of the thread ;-p

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Frank,

I did not install CRM myself, so i am not sure. But, it was installed when it first came out, like January or something, so I doubt there were any updated files at that point.

The rest of us on this thread are struggling with DMM.

Jason

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:39 PM
  •  

Same experience here, Jason.  CRM was installed by someone else - but just a few weeks ago.  I know that the version number is exactly the same as the DMM version number - which is a pre-requisite for running DMM.  So I think that is covered.

Anton

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

Well... I have two different installation; first one updated at the begining, recommended option.  The second installation is installed without this option.

DMM can connect with the second installation.  On the first one, I got the error message on this post.  (that's the reason why I'm there)

It can be just one another reason to get this error message.  I'm trying to "match" my situation with another similar case but It's not exactly the same except for the error message.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:02 PM
  •  

Francois,

Just so that we are all talking about the same thing;  you talk about getting an 'error message' - the original poster, and I think the others reporting the problem, are saying that actually, they do not get an error message. 

I think we are saying that you run DMM, it starts the asynchronous service, it verifies the user's credentials, it tries to synchronise with the CRM server, and then it just stops.  Leaving the user with the sign in or cancel option again.  In effect, DMM tries to start, but nothing happens, and nor is there an error message.

Are you getting the same behaviour as this?

p.s. as a workaround, I am now using another installation of CRM 4 on a VPC with my customisations imported, in order to use DMM and create my data maps and test my data load.  So in effect I have created a 2nd dev environment in order to get the work done.

Obviously if the problem is in your live environment then that piece of information is useless to you :-/

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Hi Anton,

The exact message is, after typed correctly the URL : The configuration wizard cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server.  This might indicate that the server is down.

As workaround, I have installed a clean CRM 3.0 on existing Database (copied from production), installed one clean version of CRM 4.0 on new production installation with Organisation name different from the real one.  Upgraded version on the CRM 3.0 to version 4.0 (this settup in on Virtual Machine) and last step, I have imported Organisation from my Virtual Machine settup to my clean new server.  It work very fine.

But, you will get this exact error message with CRM 4,0 Outlook Client AND CRM 4.0 E-Mail Router.... the "connection" use probably the same bogus code in Back-end.  This is my comprehention and not an answer from Microsoft.  I'm in communication with Microsoft Support Team to see what will happen...

My workaround have nothing to do with an CSV format and try to match value with other...  invented in 1991 (ops! sorry, I can't resist!)

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:28 PM
  •  

Ahh.  I think you are attempting to solve a different problem, Francois, to the one reported in the thread

And I think as you say, your problem, is probably down to the fact that you have the Outlook Client installed...?  From what I have read this stops DMM from working with your usual credentials.

I think everyone else's issue on this thread is a different one - DMM will connect to CRM, but then just stops before completing sign-on and presenting the DMM interface.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:41 PM
  •  

You guys that are experiencing this DMM non-responsive sign-in problem - do you have any custom entities that have the same display name as a system entity...?

I do.  If I publish it last, on its own, DMM works.  If I publish it in a group of other entities, including the system one with the same original display name (though of course I have renamed it...), then DMM doesn't work.

It's taken about 3 days to discover that, and I'm still not sure it's 100% the correct answer, as there seems something a bit random and untrustworthy about how DMM will react to my customisations.. but certainly on 1 occasion this has worked for me, and I'm not about to undo it all and see if the result it repeats itself consistently :-)

But maybe something for you to go on...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:16 PM
  • I just found that i didn't have the domain admin set up in CRM with the sys admin role attached.  Worked great after that!  I did something within the SQL surface area and chose tcpip AND pipes thinking that would work, then got an actual error message when starting DMM which said i needed the sysadmin role in order to run it.  FINALLY!!!!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  Anton Wilson wrote:

You guys that are experiencing this DMM non-responsive sign-in problem - do you have any custom entities that have the same display name as a system entity...?

I do.  If I publish it last, on its own, DMM works.  If I publish it in a group of other entities, including the system one with the same original display name (though of course I have renamed it...), then DMM doesn't work.

It's taken about 3 days to discover that, and I'm still not sure it's 100% the correct answer, as there seems something a bit random and untrustworthy about how DMM will react to my customisations.. but certainly on 1 occasion this has worked for me, and I'm not about to undo it all and see if the result it repeats itself consistently :-)

But maybe something for you to go on...

Anton,

I think you might be on to something here. I did have a custom entity named the same as a system entity and I was having the same issue. In my current customization I had changed the Contact entity to "OldContact" and created a new_vendorcontact entity and gave it the display name of Contact.

Upon reading your post I changed the built in Contact entity's display name back to "Contact" and changed my new_vendorcontact display name to "Vendor Contact". I then re-published my changes and DMM started working.

Like you I don't feel like undo those changes to see if that was the issue but maybe some more folks in this thread can weight in and let us know if they have custom entities with the same display name as some of the built in system entities.

Either way thanks for giving me something to go on!

Marc

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:46 PM
  • I also encounted this issue. I had renamed the original contracts to "Service Contracts" and created a new custom "Contracts" entity.  After renaming the new Contracts entity to another name and renaming the original system entity back to Contracts, and publishing my customizations, the DMM signed in as usual.

Thanks for posting this!

Friday, October 3, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Hi all,

I am facing the same situation now. I'm quite desprate with this Sad. After installation and configure DMM, I click sign in, then it start to syncronize. But it goes back to sign in screen after several moment (do nothing).
     I have check all of my entity name and also it's display relation name. But the problem remain persists. Any body know what is exactly goin on  here.

Thank you...
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:21 AM
  • I am running into this same problem as we have renamed the Invoices entity to CRM Invoices and created our own custom "Invoice" entity.  I was able to solve the problem earlier by following the suggestions in the post and experimenting with different sequences of which entity to publish first.   However, I am having the problem with a new database now and can't seem to get it to work.  Has anyone figured out the "magic" sequence?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:54 PM
  •  Gretchen Mann wrote:

I also encounted this issue. I had renamed the original contracts to "Service Contracts" and created a new custom "Contracts" entity.  After renaming the new Contracts entity to another name and renaming the original system entity back to Contracts, and publishing my customizations, the DMM signed in as usual.

Thanks for posting this!

Wow, that's interesting. I have the same issue with the DMM, and I also renamed the contracts entity. The problem is that, for some reason, I am not able to rename the original entity and neither the custom contract entity; I get the "An error has occurred" message. Help?

Thanks

Edit: Ok, an IISRESET did the trick, I could publish back the original names, and the DMM gets passed the login screen as well. Thanks for your post, Gretchen.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:51 PM
  • I am running into this same problem as we have renamed the Invoices entity to CRM Invoices and created our own custom "Invoice" entity.  I was able to solve the problem earlier by following the suggestions in the post and experimenting with different sequences of which entity to publish first.   However, I am having the problem with a new database now and can't seem to get it to work.  Has anyone figured out the "magic" sequence?

Hi,
    I have the same problem, did you have the solution for it?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue, and tried all the above suggestion, but still without luck. So if anyone know the solution, please share it.

Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: We finally solved the problem. It is authentication related issue. On our development environment, we used Network Service account for CRM Application pool, and for production environment, we created a service account and used it for CRM Application Pool. As soon as we changed CRM Application pool user o network Service account, it worked.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue, and tried all the above suggestion, but still without luck. So if anyone know the solution, please share it.

Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: We finally solved the problem. It is authentication related issue. On our development environment, we used Network Service account for CRM Application pool, and for production environment, we created a service account and used it for CRM Application Pool. As soon as we changed CRM Application pool user o network Service account, it worked.

This hint worked for us. We changed the apppool user to network service and the DMM connect with the CRM.

After the first login we could change the apppool user back and the DMM connect again and again.

Thank you.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:11 PM