none
slsvc "the system cannot find the specified path" RRS feed

• Question

• Dear microsoft,

my computer woke me up at an unholy hour of the morning, i noticed it was a windows error, it said something about having counterfeit software, huh?

im not the smartest person with computers but yeah......

i've validated my copy of vista before and updated it plenty of times, i got this computer ages ago with home basic 64bit installed, i went to the genuine website thing and it said my thing wasn't valid, i googled the problem and took the following steps:

1. ran CMD in admin mode and entered "net start slsvc" - the error i got was "system error 3 has occurred. the system cannot find the path specified"

2. Services>software licencing>start -the error i got was "windows could not start the software licensing service on local computer error 3: the system cannot find the path specified"

i'm going to take an educated guess and say that at some ungodly hour of the morning while i was asleep some sort of virus or malware or something decided to mess up my computer

i would like to resolve this problem without having to re-install vista, i have too much data i don't want to loose and i have a sticker on the side of my computer that says its genuine - in my mind thats all i should need. i would like to somehow fix this service rather then reinstall vista, i wanted to use a system restore point but you know it wont let me do certain things...great

1 - i would like to know - can i use my computer in this limited mode without updates? or will it lock itself completely at some stage?
    2 - is there some way i can fix this error without a fresh install?

at the end of the day - i cannot loose my data
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:16 PM

Answers

• Adra,

In your Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT) report it shows the error code "Online Validation Code: 0x80070426". This means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped. Windows Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Windows Vista is unable to confirm its own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine. The fact that the Service has stopped is also, most likely, the cause of other issues you may be experiencing (such as not having access to the Control Panel).

Please try the first set of steps and if it does not resolve the issue, move on to the next set.

The first sets of steps are how to set the Software Licensing Service to start at each Windows Vista Start-up.

1. Click Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  services.msc

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard

3. The Services window should now open

4. Scroll down to Software Licensing, then right-click on it and select Properties

5. Under the General tab, click Stop button.

6. Set the Startup Type to Automatic, and then click Apply

7. Next, under Service Status, click Start button.

8. Last, restart your computer.   

The second set of steps is the Manual steps to Force Start the Software Licensing Service. Once you type the net start slsvc command and hit Enter, if you receive any error, then, for some reason, Windows Vista is not processing the command correctly and the issue is larger than just a Software Licensing problem. In which case, I would suggest contacting Windows Vista support below: http://support.microsoft.com

If you have access to the Start button:

1) Click Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net start slsvc

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:00 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Hello ProxyPylon,

Please see the Announcements thread "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems". (located at the top of the Main Vista Validation forum page)

If your issue is not resolved by that thread, then your issue is not exactly the same as the the original poster's and you should create your own thread that includes a Diagnostic Report and a detailed description of your issue (including what steps you have already tried)

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 23, 2009 9:31 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Adra,

First if you feel that you have received a virus please run a check on the system if you have any anti-maleware detection software. This may help should you have a virus. Next, Please follow the steps below as it could resolve your issue. If need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

Make sure you are logged on as an Administrator.

Confirm you are using the most current version of Genuine Advantage by clicking Validate Windows on the website below:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, continue below.

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows Vista.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key. 

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=b5c507e5-3522-40de-a2f4-97d82b39cc47&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Genuine Advantage forum. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Thank you stephen, i had a look at the COA on the side of my tower and it says windows vista home basic OEM software - the paper has 2 holes on ethier side - it has my key the another smaller key under it.

i already had the diag tool -

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0110.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7WC44-Y3KPV-TX6BV
    Windows Product Key Hash: l1QDco5d4oRkWM5QVKkQagCqLV4=
    Windows Product ID: 89581-OEM-7301111-75167
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.002
    ID: {3D08C6CC-EA46-4AF0-85C4-8ABDF282B556}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3_FA827CE6-153-8007007e_FA827CE6-180-8007007e

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{3D08C6CC-EA46-4AF0-85C4-8ABDF282B556}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0110.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.002</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TX6BV</PKey><PID>89581-OEM-7301111-75167</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4004151960-1435173999-1941067162</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>P5KC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1001   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080104000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>09313507018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: PgAAAAIABgABAAEAAgABAAAAAwABAAEA6GEgkkjX27oKgD76AqV05oj9CIXmTmDCje/y9FyjdoGsVt2mRso=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            A_M_I_        OEMAPIC
      FACP            A_M_I_        OEMFACP
      HPET            A_M_I_        OEMHPET
      MCFG            A_M_I_        OEMMCFG
      OEMB            A_M_I_        AMI_OEM
      OSFR            A_M_I_        OEMOSFR

- Adra

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:03 AM
  • oh - and im also running a scan. but even if i do remove anything - if there is something - how would i fix the damage?
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Adra,

In your Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT) report it shows the error code "Online Validation Code: 0x80070426". This means that the Software Licensing Service has stopped. Windows Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Windows Vista is unable to confirm its own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine. The fact that the Service has stopped is also, most likely, the cause of other issues you may be experiencing (such as not having access to the Control Panel).

Please try the first set of steps and if it does not resolve the issue, move on to the next set.

The first sets of steps are how to set the Software Licensing Service to start at each Windows Vista Start-up.

1. Click Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  services.msc

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard

3. The Services window should now open

4. Scroll down to Software Licensing, then right-click on it and select Properties

5. Under the General tab, click Stop button.

6. Set the Startup Type to Automatic, and then click Apply

7. Next, under Service Status, click Start button.

8. Last, restart your computer.   

The second set of steps is the Manual steps to Force Start the Software Licensing Service. Once you type the net start slsvc command and hit Enter, if you receive any error, then, for some reason, Windows Vista is not processing the command correctly and the issue is larger than just a Software Licensing problem. In which case, I would suggest contacting Windows Vista support below: http://support.microsoft.com

If you have access to the Start button:

1) Click Start button

2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:00 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Dear Stephen, as stated in my first post i have already tried both methods of starting slsvc or "software licensing service" using both command prompt in admin mode and the windows services pane, and have already described the error i encounter when i try to start it - i have reset with no effect - its set to automatic already

the diagnostic report says:

"Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running."

my problem is it refuses to activate - giving me the error "the system cannot find the specified path" - which is the subject name of this post.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:25 AM
  • I'm having this same problem (using Vista Home Premium).

I've done the steps above, and I keep getting the message:
    "The system cannot find the specified path"

After doing sfc /scannow, the command prompt said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"

Then I did the command to find the logs which I got from this page: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html?ltr=S
    and it gave me a Notepad file showing all the corrupt files.

it has instructions on how to repair/replace the corrpupt files one by one...  

It says"Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:
    Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_FilePath_And_File_Name_Of_Destination"
    BUT WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A "KNOWN GOOD COPY OF THE FILE" OR WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GET ONE?

(On another note, what amazes me is that 90% of the time when I have a problem and end on a Microsoft support page - like the one above - it gives you a would-be solution, BUT DOES NOT take it a step further and link you to OTHER PAGES IN CASE THE INFO THEY JUST GAVE YOU DOESN'T SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM!  LIke I said, for me this seems to be 90% of the time, which makes MS support pages almost useless.  The last line on the support page above just says, "For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll."   That'd be wonderful if only I had the file or knew where on earth it was!  How is that Microsoft can't figure out things like this and have links to multiple 'contingency' solutions?!)

In my case, I can't print, (and can't turn on the print spooler, which I keep getting error messages about when I try to print).  I can't open my control panel, or my restore center, and get error messages saying my copy of Windows may not be valid.  (My system is an off-the-shelf Gateway that came with Vista, but Gateway tech support simply says to reinstall Windows - not very helpful.)  

I can't turn on the Software Licensing Service - per the instructions above - because the system can't find the path... because apparently the file was corrupted by a virus or something, which I'm assuming is the cause of this whole problem... 

SO WHERE DO YOU GET "KNOWN GOOD COPIES" OF THESE CORRPUT FILES? 

I saw one place that charges $20 for different DLL files.  But is there a free place to get them, or are the archived in a safe place in a Vista-running system (which sure would have been a nice thing for Windows to do in the first place - to automatically solve this problem, when it occurs :)

After several days of frustratingly banging my head against the wall, I'm just out of patience.  

• Edited by mpb101 Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:46 PM
  • SCREENSHOT 1
    SCREENSHOT 2
    SCREENSHOT 3
    SCREENSHOT 4
    SCREENSHOT 5

I JUST REALIZED THAT BY TRYING TO SOLVE MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM THAT TURNED OUT TO BE AN ISSUE WITH ADOBE SOFTWARE, THAT I THINK I MAY HAVE TURNED OFF IMPORTANT SERVICES, AND THAT MAY BE THE CAUSE OF ALL THESE OTHER PROBLEMS... BELOW ARE SCREEN CAPTURES OF ALL THE SERVICES IN MY SYSTEM THAT ARE SHOWING AS STOPPED. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN THEM BACK ON. WONDERING IF THIS COULD BE THE REASON I CAN'T PRINT, PRINT SPOOLER TURNED OFF AND CAN'T SEEM TO BE TURNED ON, CAN'T ACCESS MY CONTROL PANEL, CAN'T ACCESS SYSTEM RESTORE, AND SO ON... SCREENSHOTS ABOVE (OF ALL SERVICES STOPPED) ARE MY PROBLEMS BEING CAUSED BECAUSE THESE ARE NOT RUNNING, AND CAN THIS BE FIXED?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:56 PM
  • SCREENSHOT OF ALL STOPPED SERVICES

I just changed ALL my services to Automatic (many were on Manual), then restarted, and I still had all the same problems. But in my Task Manager, I have a ton of services STOPPED (see screenshot), which I can't turn on. Keeps saying the system cannot find the specified path. I also made a Vista 64 recovery disc, but couldn't get that to work either. I booted from it, and tried Install (it couldn't find something in drive H????), and the other options under Repair did nothing. One looked for startup problems to repair (and I have none). The Restore option didn't work because it could find a file to restore to (my restore is not working), and didn't have a backup copy...

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:50 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem as well. I have been suspecting corrupted windows files for quite a while but it was only recently that the genuine advantage check failed and the control panel failed to open.

Notable though is that the control panel objects can still be accessed by selecting computer from the start panel and clicking the control panel folder.

However, I have the latest Kaspersky 2009 installed with decent security settings, and according to the windows monitor everything checks out as well. I have not been opening any suspect files which brings to question the safety of Vista 64 bit as a system choice. The MGADT reports genuine but with the same canceling of slsvc which can't be found although the .exe files can be located in the designated folders.

I've tried all availible methods, bat files administrator consoles, the services interface and simple double clicks and nothing works.

I can't currently locate my vista CD but as soon as I do I'll run a sfc / scannow search.

Help would be appreciated as this is obviously a serious issue.

Update: I also tried the System settings (translated) tab System protection (translated) restore, but at opening the settings window I received a notice that Volume Shadow Copy is not working. Clearly there is a bunch of service errors happening all at once and likely related.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hello ProxyPylon,

Please see the Announcements thread "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems". (located at the top of the Main Vista Validation forum page)

If your issue is not resolved by that thread, then your issue is not exactly the same as the the original poster's and you should create your own thread that includes a Diagnostic Report and a detailed description of your issue (including what steps you have already tried)

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 23, 2009 9:31 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:31 PM
  • That resolved the problem thanks. It's funny, my brother argued that it could be the registry cleaner (in this case Eusing) that caused the problem but I refuted it with the fact that I'd used it simultaneously on both systems and only one of them experienced the issue, off course the other one is 32-bit.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:56 AM

• Glad to hear your issue is resolved and Thank you! for the information regarding the Reg Cleaner software! We are trying to get this sorted out so it doesn't happen to amy more 64bit Vista users.

Darin MS

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:05 PM