Restore after conected PC rebuild? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I currently work on a computer connected to WHS.  It is used primarily for photo and video and therefore my total backup is currently 4 to 5 terabytes.  I now have the nightly backup working fine and because only changed files get backed up, it goes relatively quick.    I am now rebuilding a PC with Win 7.   When I reinstall the OS, and then reinsintall "Connector" software for WHS, I am making the assumption that the connection from the host PC to WHS for my former backups is gone.  In other words, will I have an orphaned backup of 4 to 5 terabytes sitting on the WHS server, and will I have to create and run a new backup (runs for 4 days)?    If the answer is yes, how do I then remove the orphaned backup to get that 4 to 5 terabtyes of disc space back?

Thanks in advance..
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 12:55 PM

All replies

• No, you will not have an "orphaned" backup. Windows Home Server uses single instance storage at the cluster level to back up home computers. The first backup of the rebuilt computer may take a bit longer than usual, because Windows Home Server will have to compare every cluster with clusters already stored in your backup database, but only files (clusters, really) which have changed will be sent to your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  I appreciate it.  Just to get a little clearer in my head... my current PC has a boot drive and 9 internal drives.  I will be changing the motherboard, the processor, and the ram, and then low level format of the boot drive.  I will then install Windows 7 64 bit to the formated boot drive.  While installing, none of the 9 internal data drives will be connected connected.

After all installed Windows 7, I will then connect the 9 internal drives.

I will then install Windows Home Server Connector and launch WHS.  I will then configure a backup.

Now I am ready to do a backup.  My computer name has changed, and perhaps the drive letters of the 9 internal data drives.

Are you saying that when I run a backup, Windows Home Server will "know" that these 9 data drives are already backed up and just update what is new/changed?

Thanks again
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:21 AM
    Are you saying that when I run a backup, Windows Home Server will "know" that these 9 data drives are already backed up and just update what is new/changed?
    Not quite. When Windows Home Server backs up a computer for the first time it needs to compare every cluster of data on every drive with the clusters stored in the backup database, to determine if there's already a cluster with this data in the database. Obviously most home environments have similar software on the various computers in the home, so there is much data held in common between all of them. Windows Home Server won't know that these specific drives are backed up, but it will know that it already has data in the database that matches the data on them.

One thing to be aware of: you should not remove the old computer from the console on Saturday, then wait until Sunday to add the new computer. Windows Home Server performs a cleanup on the backup database early Sunday morning, and if you delete a computer all backups for that computer are deleted during the cleanup. Clusters shared between computers will be fine (they're still in use) but clusters unique to that computer will be removed from the database. Obviously that would mean a very large first backup for the new computer...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:14 PM