Restore fails: "Cannot run MountBackup.exe" RRS feed

• Question

• WHS is apparently doing me no good as a backup device.  When I go to Console/Backups/View Backups/Restore or View Files and click "Open," I'm allowed to specify a volume, but when I click "Open" at that point, I get a message box stating simply "Cannot run MountBackup.exe."  There's nothing to do but click OK.  Console gives no advice.  Console Help does not mention the problem.  I did a search of the WHS forums for the message-box phrase, and I get no hits.  Even in Google, I get no hits.

MountBackup.exe has full "Allow" permission in my firewall (NIS 2008). 

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:06 PM

Answers

• I got this resolved by uninstalling and then reinstalling the Connect software.

Unfortunately for me, now that I can view the backups, the drives that were FAT32 before being converted to NTFS for WHS compatibility, have totally corrupt backups.  WHS successfully backs up less than 1% of the files on these drives.  The highest level folders appear but cannot be opened because "the folder or file is corrupt and unreadable."  But that's a problem dealt with in another thread.  The problem with being unable to run MountBackup.exe has been resolved.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:52 AM

All replies

• Have you ran the restore before?

Have you tried disabling your firewall completely during this restore?

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:32 PM
  • milleron,

I suppose you ran the console from the client that originated the backup?

Did you try with firewall and maybe your antivirus solution completely disabled?

Did you try running the troubleshooter from the WHS toolkit?

Not likely, but as WHS will try to mount an additional removable storage device for accessing the backup - do you have at least one driveletter free ('Z' or lower) for mapping a storage device?

If all fails, maybe you could try completely removing and then re-installing the WHS connector on the client?

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Joel and Theo,

Thanks very much for replying.

1 - No, I have never run Restore successfully.  I've had the setup only 4 days, and backups have occurred every day, but this is the first time I've tried to test Restore.

2 - Yes, of course, I'm having these problems on the computer that was backed up.

3 - I have Norton Internet Security 2008.  It was a PC Mag Editor's Choice, so I doubt that I'm the only WHS user running it.  I can disable the firewal entirely, and I can turn of "suspicious activity monitoring" and "autoprotect" on the AV, but I cannot completely disable AV with one click like you can with the firewall.  Besides, if NIS were causing this problem, it would notify me.  Anyway, disabling all those functions makes no differenct whatsoever.

4 - I know about the Z: drive problem, and this computer never had a Z: drive.

5 - I'm unfamiliar with the troubleshooter and the "WHS toolkit."  Where are those obtained?

6 - I'm certainly considering uninstalling the software and reinstalling, but I don't think it will help.  I think there's a conflict with something installed on this computer.  I just can't tell what it is.

Is it really possible that I'm the first WHS user who's ever seen the "Cannot run MountBackup.exe" error message?

Parenthetically, I cannot restored a d#%^*d thing from my other computer, either, but it's completely different, so I've started a different thread for that one.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Found the Toolkit troubleshooter.  Ran it.  The only error is that "Windows One Care" was found installed on the computer.  It's not, but Windows Defender is.  At any rate, it's not running, and there's NO problem communicating with the Server.  The problem, as far as I know now, is that I cannot run MountBackup.exe.

Have there been any conflicts with other backup programs?  I have Acronis True Image Home 10 actively running on this computer.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Hi, from another forum where someone was having similar problems, they found the following;

However, when I set up a new user on my client (using the log in name and password from my other client), when I attempted to view the backups I saw a driver install dialog box flashed on the screen. I then switched back to my original user name and password and I could then view the backup files! Somehow the use of a new user name/password caused the driver to install (or reinstall), and that solved the problem.

unquote

It might be worthwhile trying,

Colin

• Proposed as answer by MeadowsPV Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I got this resolved by uninstalling and then reinstalling the Connect software.

Unfortunately for me, now that I can view the backups, the drives that were FAT32 before being converted to NTFS for WHS compatibility, have totally corrupt backups.  WHS successfully backs up less than 1% of the files on these drives.  The highest level folders appear but cannot be opened because "the folder or file is corrupt and unreadable."  But that's a problem dealt with in another thread.  The problem with being unable to run MountBackup.exe has been resolved.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:52 AM
  • milleron,

Did you use Windows to convert these drives from FAT32 to NTFS?
    Maybe you should check out this link: WHS Hard Drives must be formatted to NTFS the correct way

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Thanks Ron.

Your resolution worked for me. - mitch
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:25 AM
  • First: This worked for me.

I know this is an ancient post.

The only juggling I had to do was to make the new user on the  server's problematic client PC was to change the new user from a standard user to a local administrator, not depending on another local administrator profile's credentials.

Also, adding the same new user / password  information to the  WHS V1.

-

edit: This was due to the "Cannot mount the backup" error message at 6% progress..

-

Thank You, Colin.

Regards,

PVM

• Edited by MeadowsPV Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:43 AM