Renewing? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so I brought the Window Onecare a almost a year ago so why do i have  to subscribe and pay more, when i have the product key? 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:51 PM

Answers

• Did you install and activate a subscription a year ago with that product key? OneCare is a service based product, so the retail box means you install it and start your 12 month subscription from the date of activation. You need to renew after 12 months - with another retail key or online payment (full retail price for your locale) or your subscription ends.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:31 PM

All replies

• Did you install and activate a subscription a year ago with that product key? OneCare is a service based product, so the retail box means you install it and start your 12 month subscription from the date of activation. You need to renew after 12 months - with another retail key or online payment (full retail price for your locale) or your subscription ends.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Well, I have somewhat of a similar problem.  I bought the Windows live one care a year ago and it came to and end, it expired. fine with me, I bought another windows live one care to renew/install on my laptop.   Ok, so I uninstall the old program, and then I placed the new one, but it wont read it (the new one), I dont want to renew on-line ( I dont like it) I still have a day or service, but windows live one care wont pick-it up.   Is there anywhere where I can type in the serial code numbers? it would be just more easier and faster... and a whole lot less of a hassle to do.

filete_mignon@yahoo.com   

Stephen Boots wrote:

Did you install and activate a subscription a year ago with that product key? OneCare is a service based product, so the retail box means you install it and start your 12 month subscription from the date of activation. You need to renew after 12 months - with another retail key or online payment (full retail price for your locale) or your subscription ends.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:56 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "did not read it." You do need to activate OneCare with your LiveID. If you used the existing subscription LiveID that has expired, you should still be able to renew with the key. You may, however, need to uninstall and reinstall once again.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:44 AM
  • By "ir didn't read it" i meant, the CD, Windows Live One Care.  I uninstalled the exisiting subscription like the instructions said, and then installed the new one..  then a window appeared and said that I have an existing account, and yet, still with the same number of days left of the subscription.  

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  Filete_Mignon wrote:

By "ir didn't read it" i meant, the CD, Windows Live One Care.  I uninstalled the exisiting subscription like the instructions said, and then installed the new one..  then a window appeared and said that I have an existing account, and yet, still with the same number of days left of the subscription.  

As my previous reply stated,

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:52 AM