Request to MOE failed with status code 404 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Live Mesh for over a year and never had any trouble until today. This problem manifested itself on my Windows 7 machine (and the other meshed machines with XP Pro/Vista do not have this problem).

Problem started when I tried to mesh a new folder between my machines (ap2p sych, without creating or synching a folder on Live Desktop). This method was successfully in play with one of my other folders and I now wanted to mesh a new folder in the same manner. I must have done something wrong because though the new mesh worked between my Xp and Vista machine, I could not establish the folder on my Win7 machine. I inadvertently deleted the folder and then things really went wrong.

Finally, I decided to reestablish the mesh by disabling synchronization of the problem folder between machines with intent to re-enable synchronization. To cut the story short, now I really have a problem with Live Mesh on my Win7 machine. I can not delete folders or edit folders on this machine. Every time I try, I get MOE failed, Status code 404. I can not edit properties of this problem folder.

So I tried to create a new folder on Live Desktop and tried to mesh it with my Win7 Machine only. The folder was created but no news or shortcut created on Win7 Machine. News & Shortcut WERE created on XP and Vista machines, but not so on Win7 Machine.

So I added a test file to one of the older folders that was already meshed to all three machines and to the Live Desktop. The test file was added on the Vista machine and sure enough the file was automatically synched (added) to the XP machine but not to the Win7 machine.

It seems like the Win7 machine is not getting any news or updates from Live Mesh desktop or the other p2p machines. When I try to delete the problem folders or change properties, it is unable to talk to the other devices.

How do I get the Win7 machine to mesh properly and re-establish the news/updates? Can I delete/edit some registry entries to establish synchronization anew?

Help will be most appreciated. Thanks,

Ashraf

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:21 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your response, Steve.

Fortunately, I was able to solve the problem with a less drastic approach ("tweak it with a hammer" in this case). A response in this forum by Keris suggested that I do a repair job by running LiveMesh.msi. The repair job worked and all the annomalies disappeared and synchronization/updates/new/folders got back to normal.

As Keris suggested, the msi file resides hidden in the folder UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup (on my Win7 machine atleast). In my case I exited Live Mesh, double clicked the msi, selected repair and waited for the operation to finish. I was asked for my Live Mesh ID and the repair was completed. Rather than starting Live Mesh again, I opted to reboot first. Then, like magic, my problems were solved (at least for now).

Ashraf

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:27 PM

All replies

• When things get out of whack like this, the solution tends to be a "hit it with a hammer" approach.

Remove the affected device from the Mesh at www.mesh.com

Uninstall Live Mesh from the affected device.

Reboot the affected device, reinstall Live Mesh. Configure the properties of each Live Mesh folder as offered to the newly added device to sync with an existing folder, if desired, or the new location on the PC desktop, or not with that device. If merging with an existing folder (using browse) in the dialog when initially clicking the Live Mesh folder on the desktop of the device, accept the warning.

It is hard to say what the cause is, but the 404 error seems to suggest that the path to the Live Mesh folder on the Win7 machine was lost due to it being changed or some other potential corruption.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Thanks for your response, Steve.

Fortunately, I was able to solve the problem with a less drastic approach ("tweak it with a hammer" in this case). A response in this forum by Keris suggested that I do a repair job by running LiveMesh.msi. The repair job worked and all the annomalies disappeared and synchronization/updates/new/folders got back to normal.

As Keris suggested, the msi file resides hidden in the folder UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup (on my Win7 machine atleast). In my case I exited Live Mesh, double clicked the msi, selected repair and waited for the operation to finish. I was asked for my Live Mesh ID and the repair was completed. Rather than starting Live Mesh again, I opted to reboot first. Then, like magic, my problems were solved (at least for now).

Ashraf

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Excellent news, Ashraf. It was certainly worth a try and I'm glad that it resolved it without the need for the bigger hammer. :-)

An uninstall and reinstall of the client would also have done the same, assuming that the PC was recognized as being the same device in the Mesh.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:12 PM