none
COA part of # is torn off RRS feed

• Question

• Would like to know how may I obtain the PK # for my computer.  I read an article but what my situation is my computer mother board fried and a friend of my son in laws (IT graduate) crashed my computer installed new mother board and reinstalled what he thought all I had on there in original.  I have now located my complete pack of disc for my computer that was given with my computer when new.  I wanted to know if I get the recovery disc and use this will I get my COA or a new one????  Mine is partially torn I have the first 13 numbers and letters.  Please help me
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:59 AM

Answers

• Hello Nurse 2009,

Thank you for visiting us.  We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing.  Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. The steps are below:  

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:10 PM

All replies

• Call Microsoft Supplemental and Replacement Parts at 1-800-360-7561
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Hello Nurse 2009,

Thank you for visiting us.  We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing.  Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. The steps are below:  

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Hello Motherboardlove,

Thank you for the assist :-). Thought I would pass along some info. Usually we would like to see if the computer is an OEM Manufactured system or locally built. The reason is we would have them work with their OEM Manufacturer first because the licensing is OEM SLP. Next we would direct them to Microsoft Supplemental and Replacement should the OEM not have the image any more or other reasons. 

Again thank you for the help :-)

Stephen
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:13 PM