Is WHS Manual Configuration Still Possible? Is UPnP the only method of configuration allowed? RRS feed

• Question

• AT&T FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6 Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect Model: B90-210030-04S2 Software Ver.: 01.06.64 UPnP: No LinkSys Broadband Firewall Router Model No.: BEFSX41 Firmware: 1.52.15 UPnP: Yes Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 Model: Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 EX485 Software Versions: WHS Console: 6.0.2423.0 WHS Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0 About a year ago I set up a WHS on my home network with the AT&T modem in bridge mode and the router performing port forwarding and DHCP. Everything worked fine until I upgraded my service from Xtreme to Xtreme 6. Internet access slowed down instead of getting better. It turned out either having the modem in bridge mode cut off the fast access or the router could not convey it to the client computers. I abandoned the router and set the modem up as a router with port forwarding and DHCP. I was finally able to receive the speed I was paying for. I was able to set the WHS up as an FTP server running Bullet Proof FTP server as before by forwarding port 21 for FTP. I could still establish a VPN to the office as before. However, I can not reestablish remote access to the WHS even though I have manually configured the modem/router to forward port 80 for HTTP, port 443 for HTTPS and Port 4125 for RWEBW (Remote Web Workplace). (That is both TCP and UDL ports.) The book WHS Bible by Greg and Jennifer Kettel insist that manual configuration is possible if UPnP will not work or in my case in unavailable on the modem/router. The consol that I have, a later generation than that in the book, appears to only allow UPnP configurations. Can anyone tell me definitively that manual configuration is no longer possible with my version of the consol and remote access? Must I have a UPnP modem/router upstream of the WHS in order for remote access to work? Apparently my ISP has only one UPnP modem the Westell 6100 that is UPnP compliant and according to posts on the Internet from not so happy customers it does not actually work. Thanks in Advance!
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

using paragraphs could help to make your text better readable for humans.

Manual configuration is possible (this all depends from your router). Since you upgraded your service, are you sure, that the ISP does not block any port? Can you ping yourservername.homeserver.com by name from another place than your home?

Is the server directly attached to your DSL modem, which you seem to have configured as router now?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:35 AM