none
What is the max point on 072-515 mcts exam RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I just took MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Web Applications, 072-515 exam and got 546 and failed :S yeah, it sucks. needed to get 700 points to pass the exam. 

there were 51 question on the exam and I want to ask what is the max point? What would I get if I answered all the questions as true?

Visual Studio 2010, C# & ASP.Net MVC
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:23 PM

Answers

• Every exam that I have taken has a max points of 1000 for a perfect score.  Sounds like the same for you since 700 is passing (70%)
    Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

You missed by about 15% or you needed to get 8 more questions correct.

So do not get disheartened look at why you failed.

1. In your exam results were there particular areas you were weak at, you can study those to improve your score.

2. Did you do any pratcice tests, these are available from measureup.com and selftestsoftware.com or the Microsoft self-paced training guide.

- It is easy to not read exam questions well, practice helps your exam technique.

- Often if you are unsure of an answer you can eliminate two of the answers or you may get a clue from another question.

- If you get stuck on a question or are unsure move on, mark the question and come back to it, the Microsoft exam times are quite generous.

3. How did you study, I recommend using the Microsoft Training Guide for 70-515, this covers the exam well.

I think attitude also helps a lot, try enjoy playing with the software get curious about the anwers, in short try and make the study fun rather than pressurized.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, May 9, 2011 8:14 AM

All replies

• Every exam that I have taken has a max points of 1000 for a perfect score.  Sounds like the same for you since 700 is passing (70%)
    Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 2:01 AM
  • thanks for the answer. so it means that if you get 546, you pretty much sucked at it as I do :s 
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

You missed by about 15% or you needed to get 8 more questions correct.

So do not get disheartened look at why you failed.

1. In your exam results were there particular areas you were weak at, you can study those to improve your score.

2. Did you do any pratcice tests, these are available from measureup.com and selftestsoftware.com or the Microsoft self-paced training guide.

- It is easy to not read exam questions well, practice helps your exam technique.

- Often if you are unsure of an answer you can eliminate two of the answers or you may get a clue from another question.

- If you get stuck on a question or are unsure move on, mark the question and come back to it, the Microsoft exam times are quite generous.

3. How did you study, I recommend using the Microsoft Training Guide for 70-515, this covers the exam well.

I think attitude also helps a lot, try enjoy playing with the software get curious about the anwers, in short try and make the study fun rather than pressurized.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, May 9, 2011 8:14 AM
  • 1. In your exam results were there particular areas you were weak at, you can study those to improve your score.

ASP.NET web forms is at success level of 80% and ASP.NET MVC is about 90%. Configuring and Extending a Web Applications part was pretty bad. it was on success level of 30% and the AJAX part is at success level of 60 %

2- Did you do any pratcice tests, these are available from measureup.com and selftestsoftware.com or the Microsoft self-paced training guide.
    3- How did you study, I recommend using the Microsoft Training Guide for 70-515, this covers the exam well.

Honestly, I haven't study at all. I just took the test with my practical knowledge to see where I am standing. as far as I know those website are not free of charge right?

Given that I didn't study for the exam, is it a bad point for a tiny-developer (this is me :)) who has the programming experience on these areas for nearly 2 years?

thanks

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

The certification does not show whether you are a good programmer or not.  It shows whether you know the breadth of the product and how to use it.  It is very likely that you will not cover all areas of the product in your job so you do need to study.

You can use the MSDN to study the areas that you do not know well but even on a limited budget I would purchase the Microsoft Self Study Guide, you can buy this from www.oreilly.com as an ebook, this should be less than the cost of failing the exam, it also incudes practice tests.

The measureup tests are not free but they are reasonably priced and you can usually find 40% off offers.

Look at skills measured for exam

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-515&locale=en-us#tab2

From your results you are clearly capable of passing this exam you just do not know all the areas the exam tests.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:50 AM
  • thanks for the answer again. So, what should I do in order to retake the exam. should I simply schedule a new exam from scratch. I couldn't find anything about how to retake the exam on prometric site.

I came across the following link;

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/student-career/en/us/career-offer.aspx

there is a sentence on that page like below;

A free Exam Retake offer. If you do not pass your Microsoft Certification exam in the student series (exams that have a 72 prefix) on your first try, you can retake the exam at no additional cost!

I have scheduled my previous exam with DreamSpark free exam offer. so should I take advantage of this free retake offer as well?

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:47 PM
  • The process with Prometric should be the same but you need to read the instructions from DreamSpark to make sure you go through the correct process for the free retake offer.  Maybe repost this questions if you have difficulties to get a response from someone who has done this or is part of DreamSpark.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:09 PM
  • ok, I am gonna check DreamSpark policy. thanks !
    Monday, May 9, 2011 2:19 PM