Vail for Small Businesses RRS feed

• General discussion

• I heard in one of Microsoft's webinars that Microsoft is releasing a different version of Vail for small businesses. Few questions:

1- Is that aurora or something else?

2- Whatever it is, will it cost around the current WHS to integrators/OEM?

3- When is it expected to get released to public?

Thanks in advance

BJ

BJ
    • Edited by Bahmanj Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:55 PM
    • Changed type Jonas Svensson -FST- Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:27 PM this is more of a discussion
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:14 PM

All replies

• I heard in one of Microsoft's webinars that Microsoft is releasing a different version of Vail for small businesses. Is that aurora or something else?

Thanks in advance

BJ

BJ

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/theres-another-new-windows-server-in-the-microsoft-pipeline/7866

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Mary Jo Foley isn't 100% reliable. I can't comment on whether she's correct about "Breckenridge" or not; I will say that that screen shot she posted is probably behind an NDA ...

Aurora is intended to be an intermediate product for small and micro businesses, positioned between Vail and SBS 2011 Std. Just based on what M.J. has posted the "Breckenridge" product might not be available to the public at all; it sounds like the sort of thing that Microsoft would market only through OEM partners a la Storage Server, with no system builder channel.

That blog post Christian linked discusses pricing; interestingly, the official announcement of Aurora doesn't. I wonder how close M.J. is? :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:38 AM
  • FYI, Microsoft have just announced Windows Server Storage 2008 R2 .
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:59 PM