Failure of OneCare 0037-80070643 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Recently OneCare presented me with a message that it had been stopped and couldn't work. I have tried several times to reinstall it, each tiem running the OneCare cleanup tool. Each time the download completes but when the Install indicator reaches about the halfway point I get a dialog box that says that the installation was not successful and gives an Error code 0037-80070643. I have been in touch with OneCare service techs and as yet no one has been able to rectify the situation. Several times the tech -  and there have been several - uses remote operation for a time and then syas that he'll have to get back to me the next day and do some research in the interim. I've been able to sue OneCare for more than a couple of years beginning on an elderly machine with XP sp2 and now on a fairly capable computer running Vista Ultimate. Since the beginning of the problem I downloaded and installed SP1 - RC and it seems to have made no difference - the whole operation proceeds as it has since the problem began. If anyone has any ideas about what might be happening I'd sure appreciate hearing them. For the record I've had this new computer since April - it has 4gb RAM -  and OneCare, now version 2.0, has been installed both before and since the upgrade and has worked without problems until now.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi, Charles.

The 0037 error means that winss can't be installed for some reason.

See this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930164

The original problem you were trying to address with OneCare stopping would be Sebastion's instructions perhaps.

If Sebastion's post about services needing to be present and running doesn't help, and if the KB article above doesn't help, please contact support again and request that the problem be escalated to the next level of support.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:46 PM

All replies

• "Recently OneCare presented me with a message that it had been stopped and couldn't work"

This issue could be caused if one of the following services is disabled or not running. The workaround is to enable these services : 

1. Terminal services
    2. Network Location Awareness
    3. Network Store Interface Service
    4. Network List Services

Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Look for the above services in the list and change them to Automatic from manual or disabled and then start them if they are not listed as "Started."

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:40 AM
  • Hi, Charles.

The 0037 error means that winss can't be installed for some reason.

See this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930164

The original problem you were trying to address with OneCare stopping would be Sebastion's instructions perhaps.

If Sebastion's post about services needing to be present and running doesn't help, and if the KB article above doesn't help, please contact support again and request that the problem be escalated to the next level of support.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:46 PM