Windows Mobile and Contact Categories RRS feed

• General discussion

• You have the ability to assign your contacts to categories.  When sending emails or text messages, you must add each receipient one by one.  For example, I can't include everyone in the category "Family" onto an email or text message.  This is a waste of the ability to use categories in the first place.

I am using Windows Mobile 5, I am looking at a Verizon phone that has Windows Mobile 6 to see if this was updated with the new version.  I am disapointed to see that it is not, I am surprised that I am the only one that would like this functionality.

My plain old, non PDA cell phone has the ability to create user defined categories and assign contacts to those categories.  Then, when sending a mass text message, I can include one by one or everyone in a category.  This is a plain and simple phone and it can do it but Windows Mobile can't.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:02 PM

All replies

• It is the same thing on WM6.1!
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Agreed, not being able to text to "groups" of people is a large step (leap) backwards!!! It makes texting tedious when you want to broadcast to several contacts. There has to be a fix somewhere!!

As far as emailing to groups, there is a pretty simple solution: create a contact "group a" then simply add email addresses to the "E-mail" line separated with a ";". I admit it is a bit tedious to enter on the phone, I havent tried doing it from the desktop and then syncing, but I will.

Still need a solution for texting, however!!!

Help!!!

Chris D

El Paso, Texas

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Guys,

In winmo, there is always a third party app to the rescue.

You can try Group SMS  (   http://www.shubaroo.com/index.php?module=group_sms  )

But there are possibly other better apps out there, just google for them...
    Without googling, there is no surfing...

Of course this is still no excuse for Microsoft to overlook this basic requirement...

Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:58 AM
  • I have another question.If i use IContact::put_Categories(_T("myFriends")),then I create a new groups,but what should I do to delete this Categorie.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:21 AM
  • I wrote an application in 2008 for group sms texting on Windows 5.0 devices.  It works pretty well.  It is available here for free:

http://www.xmail.net/bjasmer/MoblMsg10.htm

After 2 years of using it I am in the process of updating it and adding functionality.

Download it and tell me what you think.  My new version which should be out by June 2010 will be a big improvement.  I will keep you posted.

You can also download it from here, and leave comments and suggestions if you'd like:

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-moblmsg-v1-0.html

Thanks!

Brian Jasmer

Brian Jasmer
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:50 AM