Cannot access Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Having a weird issue and hopefully someone can help.  I previously ran WHS 2011 with no issues. I decommissioned that machine and went with a QNAP. Recently, I decided to sell the machine, and re-installed WHS 2011 on it with a new hard drive. Everything went fine on the install, except WHS 2011 could not load a driver for the onboard NIC. I thought this was odd, as it ran on this mobo just fine before. So I manually install the driver, no worries. Once installed, I setup my networking (assign static IP, make sure subnet and DNS info is correct) so far so good. I can access my network, see and access all my machines, all my machines can see and access WHS2011.  Tried to get online, and WHS2011 says their is something wrong with my router, and cannot connect.

Long story short.

WHS2011 is connected to my network with proper network settings (ip address, subnet, dns servers)

WHS2011 and all my other machines can all see each other, and access each other.

WHS2011 thinks there is something wrong with my router or modem, and cannot get online. All my other machines can get online just fine.

There is no firewall or security in the router that would prevent it from getting online (no mac address filtering or anything like that)

I have tried with WHS2011 firewall completely disabled....no change.

Any ideas? 

thanks,

Brad

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that WHS server failed to connect to Internet and prompts router/modem error.

>I cannot ping or reach any ip address on the internet. But I can ping and connect to ip addresses on my local network.
    Connect the WHS to the router/modem directly with cable and confirm the result. Manually assign TCP/IP parameters reference other device on the same subnet which can access Internet.

Besides, try to ping the default gateway’s IP address. Also, run “arp -a” to check the ARP cache. Or run “netsh interface ip delete arpcache” to clear the ARP cache.

If the problem persists, please provide more information, such as your network architecture, “ipconfig /all” and “route print” result of your WHS.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 7:18 AM

All replies

• Can you Ping anything on the Internet by IP Address from the suspect WHS Server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:11 AM
  • Phil,

No, I cannot ping or reach any ip address on the internet. But I can ping and connect to ip addresses on my local network.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that WHS server failed to connect to Internet and prompts router/modem error.

>I cannot ping or reach any ip address on the internet. But I can ping and connect to ip addresses on my local network.
    Connect the WHS to the router/modem directly with cable and confirm the result. Manually assign TCP/IP parameters reference other device on the same subnet which can access Internet.

Besides, try to ping the default gateway’s IP address. Also, run “arp -a” to check the ARP cache. Or run “netsh interface ip delete arpcache” to clear the ARP cache.

If the problem persists, please provide more information, such as your network architecture, “ipconfig /all” and “route print” result of your WHS.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 7:18 AM